NTL "Broadband" [150kbps]

Old July 30th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default NTL "Broadband" [150kbps]

Sadly my son wants to jump at NTLs Broadband offer of 17.50 per month
with free modem thrown in.

To me signing up with the likes of Nildram or Zen at around 23 makes
more sense.

Could I please have some pros and cons in this matter to advise
correctly.

David
Old July 30th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phosgene

CB wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:12:39 +0000 (UTC) and in article
, David Bradley said...
: Sadly my son wants to jump at NTLs Broadband offer of 17.50 per month
: with free modem thrown in.

He'd be better off going for NTL's 600k product imo. Depends what you
wanna do with the connection really. If you wanna use net over your LAN
I think DSL is better because ISPs will give you sets of IPs.

: To me signing up with the likes of Nildram or Zen at around 23 makes
: more sense.

Zen is 29.

You can always just use an off the shelf NAT router if you want more
than one machine connected. But having said that their Usenet coverage
is occasionally iffy and they have a stipulated, but to my knowledge
un-enforced, download cap of 1Gb over 3 day or something. This won't be
a problem on 150K as you can't reach it but the 600K and 1M people are
less than impressed.
That aside I have had a few problems which have been fixed in reasonably
quick order and one of my fiends spends 24 hours a day downloading
videos / app / running servers etc. and hasn't got any complaints. If
you have access to someone who is on NTL already I would suggest having
a butchers at the ntl.discussion.broadband.cm /
ntl.discussion.home-networking / ntl.feedback.broadband /
ntl.support.broadband.cm (closed) newsgroups and see what the general
tenor is.

If you see more plus than minus then sign up for whatever band you want.
You can change band once a month (downgrade need to phone) You can
tailor the tv / phone packages that you want but you might already have
Sky or just like having 5 channels.

I take it that you have checked out sales.ntl.com with you postcode.

That was not an entirely coherent answer but it's getting a bit late.

HTH,
Phos.

Old July 30th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:12:39 UTC, David Bradley
wrote:

Sadly my son wants to jump at NTLs Broadband offer of 17.50 per month
with free modem thrown in.

To me signing up with the likes of Nildram or Zen at around 23 makes
more sense.

Could I please have some pros and cons in this matter to advise
correctly.

The first thing to ask is...is there any choice? Is ADSL actually
available in this case?

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..