Dabs Conexant Router PAE-CE84

Old July 30th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Horan

Default Dabs Conexant Router PAE-CE84

"Xmas" wrote in message
I bought this router recently and have had some teething problems. I
upgraded the firmware to the latest version: ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL9,
customer software version CA8XR-GN.1220.09F. (Upgrading wasn't much
fun, ended up having to use a pin on the reset button -- couldn't even
reliably talk to the router after upgrading).

Every now and then the modem seems to 'hang' and doesn't answer Internet
requests until it's reset. My primary computer is sometimes
disconnected when I connect my secondary computer (I'm using a crossed
cable to connect to my primary computer and a straight cable for the
second one, so perhaps the auto-sense is getting upset?)

Generally I'm pleased with the router, but the stability doesn't seem to
be up to much. Is this just an example of "you get what you pay for",
or is it a case of PEBCAK?

Cheers,

xmas

Xmas

try going to www.amigo.com.tw and using their bios updates for the routers

I have the conexant 1 port router and upgraded the bios to the following ;

Firmware Version: ETHADSL_USB_032002_REL5
Showtime Firmware Version: 2.28b
Customer Software Version: CA6XR-GN.0924.00T

Now its more stable ( even if http login fails after 4 weeks uptime ) and it
can map more ports with the bioses on that link.

Hope this helps

Lee

Old August 5th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:23:50 +0100, Xmas wrote:

wrote:
try going to www.amigo.com.tw and using their bios updates for the routers

[snip]

Thanks Lee, I installed the bios update for the 4-port router already
but stability is still a problem.

Now its more stable ( even if http login fails after 4 weeks uptime ) and it
can map more ports with the bioses on that link.

4 weeks? Ha, I've yet to get more than 20 hours uptime. It often gets
into a state where it sees network activity but it can't access the WAN;
the router PPP menu shows it is disconnected. Clicking on the Connect
button on that screen doesn't help -- it tries a few times and gives up.

When it works, everything is fine. Wasn't difficult to set up. No
other complaints. But the instability is proving a real pain in the
backside.

xmas

I have the latest BIOS and Firmware and also have this problem.
Basically from a reset the router synchronises, connects,
authenticates and obtains an IP etc. If the WAN connection is
subsequently lost, usually through loss of sync, then it never gets
any further than connecting, ie it stalls and never seems to
authenticate (as the router log will show).

PTI customer support didn't have a clue and I have contacted a few
people through ADSLGuide who have the exact same issue.

Someone did mention that it was an exchange specific isse but this
doesn't help much.

At the minute I'm using a USB modem and will hang fire until I move
house. If I move to an enabled area I'll buy a NetGear or a Vigor.
I've not been impressed with the CE84 which was a replacement for a
faulty CE64.

Regards,

Chris