How To? Dial-up to Broadband conversion.

Old July 30th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Default How To? Dial-up to Broadband conversion.

Roger Cain wrote:
Has anyone any web references to Noddy's Guides explaining what re-congig/
re-setting needs to be done when substituting an ADSL modem for a dial-up
modem (and paying a new ISP, of course!)

I am confused about how to set up the new connection route and what to tell
IE and OE about it. I will be using Win 98SE.

Assuming you go for a router (the best option) then the only change you
will need to make is to set the Internet options to "never dial a
connection", and set your network card so that the routers IP address is
specified as a default gateway. IE and OE won't see any difference
(assuming you are using the same ISP - you would need to change email
server names for a new ISP)

Also, can I set things up so that reversion to dial-up is simple should
broadband go belly-up?

Just go find the icon for your existing dialup connection in your
network connections folder and manually double click it. That will then
cause it to dial up and temporarily replace the routed connection until
you tell it to disconnect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 1st 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MarkM

John Rumm wrote in message ...
Roger Cain wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I've just been going through almost the same thing, this time
switching from dial-up to broadband via wireless (Netgear 824/MA111).
With the wireless link connected, I couldn't find a way to get IE to
recognise the network connection. IE always wanted to dial up, and
only started working after running the Internet Connection Wizard, and
telling it that I was on a LAN, with no dial up.

Still having startup and shutdown problems with the MA111 on my
crumbly old 330MHz Celeron with Win98, but that's another matter....