Anyone using Adaptec AWN-8084? Considering as alternative to AP

Old July 31st 03, 11:54 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

Default Anyone using Adaptec AWN-8084? Considering as alternative to AP

Hi,

[note cross post to uk.telecom.broadband and alt.internet.wireless]

I already have Nildram ADSL and an established network, with a Solwise
SAR705 modem/router and a D-Link DWL-1000AP.

I was looking to add another wireless AP and started searching, and also
noted from NG posts that AP/routers were much the same prices as an AP.

On Dabs I found an Adaptec AWN-8084 wireless cable/DSL router which is the
same price as the Adaptec AWM-8060/UK Wireless Access Point

On the face of it you get basically the same unit, but the router has a 4
port hub and firewalling (of sorts) built in.
For the same price it initially seems a no-brainer.

This also seemed a good opportunity to get my AP plus a second router, so I
could implement a physical DMZ and perhaps allow neighbours onto my wireless
network without letting them onto my internal network.

A few things are holding me back at the moment:

(1) It is not clear if the WAN port will function O.K. if it is hung off
another LAN instead of talking via DSL or cable modem to an ISP. I have
skimmed the '.pdf' manual on the Adaptec site but it is not crystal clear
that it can be configured with the WAN port on an Ethernet LAN. It looks as
though the 'static' and 'DHCP client' modes in the 'Basic Setup (WAN)'
configuration may do this, but has anyone tried this?

(2) The LAN configuration for the 4 port hub allows the specification of a
full IP address for the interface, but apparently only allows DHCP serving
for the '192.168.8' subnet. Is this implemented as stupidly as it seems, or
does the fixed part change to match the first 3 elements of the IP address
if you change the network part of the IP address? Worrying if it is fixed on
one subnet because it suggests a lack of thought or sophistication in the
underlying software.

(3) A quick Google of the UK area turns up remarkably little about this -
mainly references to Dabs. This suggests it may be very new or a niche
product with few users.

So - is there anyone out there who has used this product, even better used
this product in the way I am contemplating?

If not, is there a reasonable alternative with a price close to the 52.87
UKP for this unit?

I have an additional motive - I promised a friend I would put together a
'shopping list' to convert a cable setup using a PC and cable modem to a
wireless setup. The Adaptec AWN-8084 seems eminently suitable for this, but
I would like to know than people were using it without problems.

TIA
Dave R

Old August 1st 03, 11:06 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...s.asp?sku=A91-
6008&kb=y&sourceid=1011&ksubid=can&afsrc=1&afsrc=1
or
http://tinyurl.com/ipsl
states that it will work on an Ethernet backbone.
So one question answered :-)
snip

So - is there anyone out there who has used this product, even better used
this product in the way I am contemplating?

Despite asking on a number of different fora, still unable to find anyone
who admits to using this!