BT Broadband for Mac Users

Old July 31st 03, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
g6auc

Default BT Broadband for Mac Users

In article , Eddgreen
wrote:

Anyone got a Mac 0sx 10.2
And has a bt broadband connection
is it ok

I recently set up BT Broadband on an iBook using Mac OS X 10.2.6.
I used a D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet ADSL modem connected by wired
ethernet to the iBook. That all went very smoothly.

I've now changed over to using my Airport Base Station (Snow White) as
a router. The Airport Base Station is connected to the ADSL modem by
wired ethernet and provides service to an iBook (wirelessly) and to an
iMac and a PC (by wired ethernet).

I had some trouble getting this configured, but it now works fine.

You don't need a router if you have only one computer, but you may then
need some firewall software.

I understand that BT supply a USB connected ADSL modem which can be
used with a single Mac on OS X.

As I already had an ethernet network and an Airport Base Station, I
preferred the ethernet modem route. This did not require the
installation of any drivers.

The BT "Welcome to BT Broadband" booklet says that "BT Broadband
Helpdesks cannot provide support for equipment purchased from other
suppliers". Nevertheless, the booklet does contain the basic
information needed to set up broadband on other equipment.

Whichever way you go, you will also require good quality
(micro)filters.

Harry.

--
To reply by email, replace invalid in email address by arrl.