BT and cost of reconnecting an extension

Old July 31st 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default BT and cost of reconnecting an extension

I have just signed up for ADSL and have asked BT to disconnect my 2nd phone
line. No Problem until I asked if they could reconnect my extension to my
main telephone number. Thay want over a £100 if I get a new extension or I
can get an engineer at £120 for the first hour!! What can I do?

Old July 31st 03, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

I have just signed up for ADSL and have asked BT to disconnect my
2nd
phone line. No Problem until I asked if they could reconnect my
extension to my main telephone number. Thay want over a £100 if I

get
a new extension or I can get an engineer at £120 for the first

hour!!
What can I do?

How about doing it yourself, costs just your time & effort.

If you realistically look at the charges they aren't that bad as they
are all inclusive, no hidden extras for parts etc, unlike many other
service people who you may have the pleasure of inviting into your
home.

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 1st 03, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:58:21 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:
If you realistically look at the charges they aren't that bad as they
are all inclusive,

You MUST be joking to really ensure I made a huge profit I would
charge the guy £ 10.00 for parts and £ 50.00 for labour and this would
give me a massive profit so it is looking like you agree with bare
faced EXTORSION .
Monty .
Old August 1st 03, 05:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:
If you realistically look at the charges they aren't that bad as

they
are all inclusive,

You MUST be joking to really ensure I made a huge profit I would
charge the guy £ 10.00 for parts and £ 50.00 for labour and this

would
give me a massive profit so it is looking like you agree with bare
faced EXTORSION .
Monty .

What about traveling costs, the costs of the support mechanism
(paperwork, stores, accountants & even mechanics for the van) etc,
then you have to show a profit at the end of it, or else OFTEL makes
you put the prices up ( no loss leaders you know), on top of all that
you have to be 'seen' to be paying of the bank loan & making the
'city' happy. Sorry your figures don't scratch the surface...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 1st 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

"David" wrote in message
I have just signed up for ADSL and have asked BT to disconnect my 2nd

phone
line. No Problem until I asked if they could reconnect my extension to my
main telephone number. Thay want over a £100 if I get a new extension or I
can get an engineer at £120 for the first hour!! What can I do?

Unless your extension is in a very inaccesible place it must be cheaper to
buy a wireless phone.
In the same way that wireless networks remove the need for network cabling,
wireless phones remove the need for extension sockets.
You also get extra benefits such as taking calls in the garden (if you have
one).

Look in Argos, or any electronics retailer.
It is sensible to consider a bundle with a base station and two or more
handsets.
However with DECT phones you can buy from different manufacturers and they
interwork.
I have a Philips phone because of the superb hands free design (however the
menus suck).
I also have a BT Synergy 2100 because of the nice compact shape of the
handset, convenient belt clip, and easy menus.

HTH
Dave R

Old August 1st 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 04:44:01 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:
What about traveling costs, the costs of the support mechanism
(paperwork, stores, accountants & even mechanics for the van) etc,
then you have to show a profit at the end of it, or else OFTEL makes
you put the prices up ( no loss leaders you know), on top of all that
you have to be 'seen' to be paying of the bank loan & making the
'city' happy. Sorry your figures don't scratch the surface...

We have three people all ex BT engineers advertising in our local
paper offering to do extensions for £ 15.00 each inclusive of VAT
if you get BT out they will charge £ 120.00 just to put a nail in the
wall.

Monty .