What happens when BTO install broadband?

Old August 1st 03, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

Default What happens when BTO install broadband?

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:02:51 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm scheduled to get bb on 21/8. But I've recently booked a holiday at that
time and I won't be at home. But my daughter (and boyfriend) will.

What should I do? Do I need to be around? What exactly do BT do on the day
of installation? Do they need access to my PC?

Bobby,

Unless you have purchased an Engineer install (costs about £250, but
rarely available these days) then there should be no entry required to
your premises, *provided* that all your checks have been done.

Have you been accepted for ADSL? Or is that date just the date your
exchange goes live ? Has an engineer visted the premises in relation
to getting ADSL (for testing) ?

--
www.btofaq.net/v3/forum : The BTOpenworld / Broadband Usergroup
Old August 1st 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:02:51 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm scheduled to get bb on 21/8. But I've recently booked a holiday
at that time and I won't be at home. But my daughter (and

boyfriend)
will.

What should I do? Do I need to be around? What exactly do BT do on
the day of installation? Do they need access to my PC?

Bobby,

Unless you have purchased an Engineer install (costs about £250, but
rarely available these days) then there should be no entry required

your premises, *provided* that all your checks have been done.

Have you been accepted for ADSL? Or is that date just the date your
exchange goes live ? Has an engineer visted the premises in

relation
to getting ADSL (for testing) ?

Even if you are having an engineer installation all they will need
access to is the master socket & if that is not close to the PC agree
with your daughter what is acceptable for the cable run between that &
your master socket so she can tell the engineer (remember it'll be
surface run cable, not under carpet, normally on top of your skirting
board & can be up to 30 metres cable length, which isn't as far as you
would think if you have a few doors to go around).

No they will not require access to your PC.

If on the other hand you are having a managed conversion from HH/ISDN
then all they will do is test at the master socket once again & leave
it at that (unless you've paid for a engineer install of course).

If you are only going live/self install, then it's up to you to do all
the work (please remember you will need a filter for _all_ telephoney
devices when your DSL circuit is active & in use)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 1st 03, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

Andy Jenkins wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:02:51 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm scheduled to get bb on 21/8. But I've recently booked a holiday
at that time and I won't be at home. But my daughter (and boyfriend)
will.

What should I do? Do I need to be around? What exactly do BT do on
the day of installation? Do they need access to my PC?

Bobby,

Unless you have purchased an Engineer install (costs about £250, but

£250 - what are they doing for that - how long are they going to be onsite -
it seems to be a lot for fixing a socket

Old August 1st 03, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:20:34 +0000 (UTC), "Keith Roberts"
wrote:

Andy Jenkins wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:02:51 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm scheduled to get bb on 21/8. But I've recently booked a holiday
at that time and I won't be at home. But my daughter (and boyfriend)
will.

What should I do? Do I need to be around? What exactly do BT do on
the day of installation? Do they need access to my PC?

Bobby,

Unless you have purchased an Engineer install (costs about £250, but

£250 - what are they doing for that - how long are they going to be onsite -
it seems to be a lot for fixing a socket

Back in days yonder before plug and go, that is what people paid to
get ADSL installed. The exception of course was for those who
"pre-ordered" and got the installation FOC. I was one such customer.

For the cost, you get a bod come around, change your main socket to an
ADSL one with two ports, one ADSL and one telephony. Obviously no
filters are required.

Worth £250? Of course it is. Not.

Old August 2nd 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:53:12 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

& you could have had a 30mtr DSL extension thrown in as well... ;-p

Damn ! I thought this broadband was wireless .. no wonder it dont
work ! )))))))))))))))

Old August 2nd 03, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Andy Jenkins wrote:
For the cost, you get a bod come around, change your main socket

an ADSL one with two ports, one ADSL and one telephony. Obviously
no filters are required.

Worth £250? Of course it is. Not.

Argh but you are forgetting the wear & tear on the vechicle getting
him there, the cost of the diesel, the wear & tear on his

screwdriver
& you could have had a 30mtr DSL extension thrown in as well...

;-p

+ the USB modem!

Regards
Sunil

Sorry I forgot that. In the good old days you could even have a
choice, if you were lucky, one was green the other grey...

Wasn't live grand, eigh....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 2nd 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

& you could have had a 30mtr DSL extension thrown in as well...

;-p

Damn ! I thought this broadband was wireless .. no wonder it dont

All depends what you plug into it, not getting personal you
understand...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....