ADSL at greater than 512kbps?

Old August 1st 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

Default ADSL at greater than 512kbps?

"Slugsie" wrote in
:

Bearing in mind that I do not have any form of Cable access available,
and that I don't live anywhere near London (or any major city, I live
in St Annes near Blackpool) can anyone recommend any other ISP that
might provide a faster ADSL service?

plusnet and nildram have 1 and 2M services in the £40-50 bracket

Phil
Old August 1st 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

That's not too much of a worry, I'm only 750m from the exchange, and my line
loss is in the high 30s.

--
/Slugsie
-=+Team ToolFox+=-

"Kraftee" wrote in message
One thing many of you are forgetting is that the line specifications
are a lot tighter so even if you already have 512k DSL you may not be
able to have 1 or 2 meg service as your line could be out of spec (yes
it does happen)...

Old August 1st 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

That's not too much of a worry, I'm only 750m from the exchange, and
my line loss is in the high 30s.

& the cut off is 35 so you fail....

See what i mean, mind you at 750mtrs it does appear to be a little
higher than normal...

"Kraftee" wrote in message
One thing many of you are forgetting is that the line

specifications
are a lot tighter so even if you already have 512k DSL you may not

be
able to have 1 or 2 meg service as your line could be out of spec
(yes
it does happen)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....
Deal with it!!

Old August 2nd 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Kraftee" wrote in message
That's not too much of a worry, I'm only 750m from the exchange,

and
my line loss is in the high 30s.

& the cut off is 35 so you fail....

Not 45?

Regards
Sunil

Well I failed my original line test at 37.5, mind you that was with
the good old whoosh test which is now history anyway. I can
distinctly remember getting the red unhappy face, after I had had an
argument with the DSL lev.1 who insisted that I would be able to get
it, that showed him. Unfortunately it ment I got stuck with this
bunch of cowboys...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 2nd 03, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Damn, mind you, it's the highest figure of the ones reported by my
router... SNR Margin: Down 37db Up 27db
Line Attenuation: Down 14db Up 22db

I should still be able to get 1mbit yes?

& the cut off is 35 so you fail....

You should be ok but I tend to think that the down stream SNR is a tad
high. But what the hell I'm just the hairy bottomed (got to have a
shave) engineer who has to go round fixing these things & the way
they're tending to try & dumb down our test system so that we only
have to look for the green smiley faces (I kid you not) it's easy to
miss remember some of the numbers....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 2nd 03, 06:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:53:12 +0100 and in article
, Robert Woolley said...
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:49:11 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

That's not too much of a worry, I'm only 750m from the exchange,
and my line loss is in the high 30s.

& the cut off is 35 so you fail....

See what i mean, mind you at 750mtrs it does appear to be a little
higher than normal...

My router is reporting noise margin of c. 25, attenuation of 31-36.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 38.8 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 37.6 19.5 dB

What about my figures? Could I get 1/2mbit?

Der 1/2m is 512 isn't it...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 2nd 03, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

wrote:

That's not too much of a worry, I'm only 750m from the exchange,
and my line loss is in the high 30s.

& the cut off is 35 so you fail....

See what i mean, mind you at 750mtrs it does appear to be a little
higher than normal...

My router is reporting noise margin of c. 25, attenuation of 31-36.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 38.8 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 37.6 19.5 dB

What about my figures? Could I get 1/2mbit?

Der 1/2m is 512 isn't it...

he means one or two meg