Decent ADSL ethernet routers featuring UPnP?

Old August 1st 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Decent ADSL ethernet routers featuring UPnP?

Or if none do just a decent ethernet ADSL router with built in modem and
possibly more than one port. Been looking at the cheap ebuyer one but not
too sure....

Old August 1st 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Master Card fomerly Jon Mitchell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ry=37 06&rd=1

Old August 2nd 03, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Or if none do just a decent ethernet ADSL router with built in modem and
possibly more than one port. Been looking at the cheap ebuyer one but not
too sure....

Research is starting to lead me to conclude I should get the "Speedtouch 510
v4 4 port UPnP ADSL router " even though the firewall is difficult to do
anything with.

Old August 2nd 03, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Or if none do just a decent ethernet ADSL router with built in modem and
possibly more than one port. Been looking at the cheap ebuyer one but

not
too sure....

Research is starting to lead me to conclude I should get the "Speedtouch

510
v4 4 port UPnP ADSL router " even though the firewall is difficult to do
anything with.

Hi,
FWIW, I have a speedtpuch 510v4, and it has performed brilliantly for
the 4 months that I've had it. Not a single crash, and although the
firewall is a pain at first, you soon get used to writing rules for it.
Alternatively, you might want to consider the vigour range of routers. I've
not used these myself, but lots of people recommend them. I believe the
vigour has a firewall as well that is a little easier to configure. Costs a
little more though.

--

Martin
Old August 4th 03, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
tHatDudeUK wrote:

And the inability to prevent dynamic NAT rules from timing out after
15 minutes' inactivity, so your remote logins all go away if you stop
for a cup of tea.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what this means in practice. I guess
that it means if I have a machine connected to a port on the router, that if
a "dynamic NAT rule" is set up (not sure what this is) possibly for
netmeeting or MSN messenger, then remote logins go away?!

When you connect from a machine on your local network to a remote
machine, the router has to allocate a port which it maps to the
relevant port on your machine (so that, say, two of your machines can
both have a connection from port 1025). It rewrites the outgoing
packets to have the router's IP address and the allocated port, and
rewrites incoming packets to have the real machine's IP address and
port. It has to keep a table of these mappings. If a mapping is
unused for 15 minutes it forgets it.

I've no idea whether this is a problem for the programs you mention;
maybe they send packets all the time, or reconnect if the connection
fails (like a web browser does). Or maybe Windows uses UPnP to set up
mappings manually. I mostly use ssh to log in to computers at work,
and the 510v4 is useless for that.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!
Old August 4th 03, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
When you connect from a machine on your local network to a remote
machine, the router has to allocate a port which it maps to the
relevant port on your machine (so that, say, two of your machines can
both have a connection from port 1025). It rewrites the outgoing
packets to have the router's IP address and the allocated port, and
rewrites incoming packets to have the real machine's IP address and
port. It has to keep a table of these mappings. If a mapping is
unused for 15 minutes it forgets it.

So you just need to re-login and it'll be all sorted again?!

Would this affect VPN or something like Symantec PC anywhere?

Thanks for your help...

Regards.

tHatDudeUK

Old August 4th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
tHatDudeUK wrote:

So you just need to re-login and it'll be all sorted again?!

Except that you'll have lost that message you were typing, your
programs will have exited because they couldn't write to standard
output and so on...

Would this affect VPN or something like Symantec PC anywhere?

If VPNs are handled by the router, presumably it keeps them up, along
with connections over the VPN. I don't know about "PC anywhere".

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!
Old August 11th 03, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jolltax

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Or if none do just a decent ethernet ADSL router with built in modem and
possibly more than one port. Been looking at the cheap ebuyer one but not
too sure....

Went through the same thing about a week ago and narrowed it down to the
speedtouch or Draytek product. I bought the Draytek Vigor 2600 We.

As I am not an ADSL/router techie can't comment other than to say it
plugged in, auto confogured and works beautifully amd replaced my previous
network switch , is also DNS server.. Has been up for 230 hrs now and has
not been rebooted.

Configuration is through an easy web interface. On grc.com my network is
completely invisible using the default firewall, I even managed to forward
some ports in about 5 mins yesterday and run a BF1942 server for a while.

I really pleased with how easy it has all been so far as I was worried about
the complications of NAT, uPNP etc. Have read the speedtouch is also a good
product.

Chuffedly

Jolltax

Old August 11th 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Yep, returned faulty Netgear with crappy software that wouldn't load or
uninstall,
bought Draytek 2600We and never looked back.
Regards,
Martin