ADSL extension leads

Old August 2nd 03, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Martin

Default ADSL extension leads

Hi folks,

Do you need a posh (ie new and expensive) telephone extension lead
between your main socket in and the computer, or will the bog standard
one I've got for my current modem be all right?

Cheers,

Jon
--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking?
NOT!! nospam=defblade
Old August 3rd 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

"Jon Martin" wrote in message

Hi folks,

Do you need a posh (ie new and expensive) telephone extension lead
between your main socket in and the computer, or will the bog standard
one I've got for my current modem be all right?

Cheers,

Jon
--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking?
NOT!! nospam=defblade

Standard is fine, worth paying a little more to get gold connectors though

Old August 3rd 03, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

"Jon Martin" wrote in message

Hi folks,

Do you need a posh (ie new and expensive) telephone extension lead
between your main socket in and the computer, or will the bog standard
one I've got for my current modem be all right?

Cheers,

Jon
--

Any standard lead will do the job.

Matt

Old August 3rd 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Colin Wilson wrote:
And don't forget to draw a perfect pentagram round the modem with green pen
too.

Should we tell him about the goat ritual too ?

The lead time is horrible though, it usually takes at least a month to
train one to draw the pentagram.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
He who lives in a glass house should not invite he who is without sin.
Old August 3rd 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Martin

Ian Stirling was sufficiently re-animated to talk about ADSL extension
leads
Colin Wilson wrote:
And don't forget to draw a perfect pentagram round the modem with green pen
too.

Should we tell him about the goat ritual too ?

The lead time is horrible though, it usually takes at least a month to
train one to draw the pentagram.

Thanks for the help, folks Just so long as I know in advance.....

Is it ok to tip-ex out the red Eye of Orisis I currently have my modem
placed in, or will I need to change the floorboards? (again. It was
enough hassle going to 56K what with having to move the chimney and all
the blood and feathers from the chickens.....)

Jon
Old August 3rd 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Colin Wilson wrote:
And don't forget to draw a perfect pentagram round the modem with

green pen
too.

Should we tell him about the goat ritual too ?

The lead time is horrible though, it usually takes at least a month to
train one to draw the pentagram.

Thanks for the help, folks Just so long as I know in advance.....

Is it ok to tip-ex out the red Eye of Orisis I currently have my modem
placed in, or will I need to change the floorboards? (again. It was
enough hassle going to 56K what with having to move the chimney and all
the blood and feathers from the chickens.....)

Jon

Osiris is the old god, you should be using horus now (see
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/HORUS/).

--

Martin
Old August 3rd 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

Master Card fomerly Jon Mitchell wrote:
Standard is fine, worth paying a little more to get gold connectors
though

IMHO gold connectors are really only necessary if you do a lot of
e-mailing or file sharing. For web-surfing, standard leads are fine.

Jon

I always wonder why people always rate gold connectors - the electrical
resistance is greater that using copper connectors.

Gold is more expensive therefore it must be better.

Gold is better because it is more resistant to corrosion but is it as good
if the other connector is not gold. Would you get a worse connection if the
two connector surfaces are mismatched?

Old August 3rd 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Keith Roberts wrote:
Master Card fomerly Jon Mitchell wrote:
Standard is fine, worth paying a little more to get gold connectors
though

IMHO gold connectors are really only necessary if you do a lot of
e-mailing or file sharing. For web-surfing, standard leads are fine.

I always wonder why people always rate gold connectors - the electrical
resistance is greater that using copper connectors.

Gold is more expensive therefore it must be better.

Gold is better because it is more resistant to corrosion but is it as good
if the other connector is not gold. Would you get a worse connection if the
two connector surfaces are mismatched?

If the other connector is tin, then gold can be a very bad choice.
Especially in warm humid conditions, intermetallics can form on the connector,
causing the connection to fail.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Two parrots sitting on a perch. One asks the other, "Can you smell fish?"