Cheap IP supplier?

Old August 4th 03, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

Default Cheap IP supplier?

The IP addresses have to be from one of your ISP's blocks, otherwise
traffic
would never get routed to them.

There are companies offering ADSL who will supply more than one IP

address.

Jc.

Thats what gets me though - how come it has to be from your ISP's blocks,
surely they just tell one ip to forward all packets to the IP you get from
your ISP (thus your router's external interface) and it'd work from there.
And yep, I know there are.. just looking to see if there's a "better way" .

Ian.

Old August 4th 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Ian Gibbons wrote:

Thats what gets me though - how come it has to be from your ISP's blocks,
surely they just tell one ip to forward all packets to the IP you get from
your ISP (thus your router's external interface) and it'd work from there.
And yep, I know there are.. just looking to see if there's a "better way" .

Because if you had to hold routing tables for every active IP in the world
on each router you'd need supercomputers for routers.

The system of having blocks that are routed means that the Internet *can*
exist.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/ professional hosting/ADSL Broadband

Old August 4th 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

... and I take it that you know that your ISP ("Customer of PlusNet" is a
giveaway! ) will give you extra IP addresses for _no_ extra charge.
(apparently, as I saw it mentioned in here the other week)

Stephen.

Thought that was only for business accounts..
The problem is having either 1Mb business adsl, and get the no-nat option
which gives you a block of 8 ips (5 usable), or the 2Mb home adsl which is
cheaper, but doesnt have the no-nat option.
Faster downloads are important, but at the same time 1 ip is one too short,
as a server of mine needs to have a public ip for various reasons.

Ian.

Old August 4th 03, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

"PlusNet Customer Support" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:34:23 +0100, "Ian Gibbons"
wrote:

Thought that was only for business accounts..

Hi Ian,

If you are on one of our home accounts we will be happy to assign you
a block of 4 IP addresses (giving you two usable IP addresses)
immediately. To do this simply raise a Contact Us ticket requesting
the change.

If you wanted more than that you would have to be one of our business
accounts, where we will provide 8 IP addresses with justification.

Regards

Josh

Oh right, I thought the 4 only gave one usable..
/me starts to rethink his adsl plans again
Basically when the time comes (to upgrade to adsl) Ive just the two boxes
that need unique ip's. One being a nat gateway, the other a private linux
box that needs public access (thus own ip for proper host/stats reporting).
So what your saying is a home account with 4 ip's this configuration is
fine? And yes, i know the router can do NAT, but it doesnt do filtering (not
yet anyway ;p).

Kind Regards,
Ian

Old August 4th 03, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Ian Gibbons wrote:

Thats what gets me though - how come it has to be from your ISP's blocks,
surely they just tell one ip to forward all packets to the IP you get from
your ISP (thus your router's external interface) and it'd work from there.

Somehow the information that packets for your IP were to be sent to to
your ISP would have to be propagated around the world to any machine
that wanted to contact you. This used to be possible when the
internet was smaller, but if hundreds of millions of IPs had to be
individually routed it just wouldn't work. Allocating them in blocks
greatly simplifies the problem.

Incidentally, it's not just storing the routing tables that's a
problem - the memory to store every possible IPv4 address would only
cost a few hundred pounds - but passing the information around and
updating the tables.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!
Old August 4th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben O'Hara

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:31:08 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
Ian Gibbons wrote:

Thats what gets me though - how come it has to be from your ISP's blocks,
surely they just tell one ip to forward all packets to the IP you get from
your ISP (thus your router's external interface) and it'd work from there.

Somehow the information that packets for your IP were to be sent to to
your ISP would have to be propagated around the world to any machine
that wanted to contact you. This used to be possible when the
internet was smaller, but if hundreds of millions of IPs had to be
individually routed it just wouldn't work. Allocating them in blocks
greatly simplifies the problem.

Incidentally, it's not just storing the routing tables that's a
problem - the memory to store every possible IPv4 address would only
cost a few hundred pounds - but passing the information around and
updating the tables.

-- Richard

Agreed that it cant really be done, but you could get PI space direct from
RIPE and if you ISP would announce the route into BGP it would be
possible.

This is assuming any ISP would

a) announce a route into BGP for a DSL customer (very doubtfull)

b) That your LIR/RIPE would assign PI space (highly unlikely)

c) Also nearly all providers filter BGP route at /24 so you'd need at
least a class C to get full global routing without your routes being
discarded.

Most ISPs should allow you to have a 8 IP block, I know we would if you
had the right justification for it.

Regards

Ben

Old August 5th 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Plusnet Support Team

"Ian Gibbons" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

With a block of 4 IPs one would be assigned to your router when you login by
our RADIUS so this would only give you one spare I'm afraid.

Kind Regards,
Rob

Old August 6th 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

wrote:

Oh right, I thought the 4 only gave one usable..
/me starts to rethink his adsl plans again
Basically when the time comes (to upgrade to adsl) Ive just the two boxes
that need unique ip's. One being a nat gateway, the other a private linux
box that needs public access (thus own ip for proper host/stats

reporting).
So what your saying is a home account with 4 ip's this configuration is
fine? And yes, i know the router can do NAT, but it doesnt do filtering

(not
yet anyway ;p).

It is possible if only one machine to have a global IP of its own and one
for the NAT box then 4 is all you need if the router can work in as an
ethernet modem (ie not requiring an IP address of its own but instead just
acting as the ethernet to ATM bridge).

You allocate the first of the 2 usable IP addresses to NAT box, the other to
the server

eg

-----NAT BOX-----
eth-0 (plugged to router) 81.0.0.5
eth-1 (NAT subnet) 192.168.0.1
eth-2 (non NAT subnet) 10.0.0.1

-----SERVER BOX-----
eth-0 10.0.0.2
veth-0 81.0.0.6

Then manually set up the routing on NAT BOX

destination 81.0.0.6
subnet 255.255.255.255
next hop 10.0.0.2
interface eth-2

I run a setup like this successfully... the server is not NAT'd