Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

Old August 4th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hamman

Default Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm about to get broadband installed and I was wondering if the built-in
Windows XP firewall protection (if enabled) was OK - or should I purchase
something like Norton Firewall?

Cheers.

Bobby

Disable the XP one and use ZoneAlarm

Old August 4th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Hi there,

I used to use the built in firewall and i went to a number of sites that
would rate my security. On all of them, they reported that my computer was
essentially invisible to the outside world. Thats a good thing.

However, the firewall is lacking a number of key features. I cant remember
what - it might be packet filtering and various other things but I know for
sure that it is missing features that most commercial firewalls have.

It just depends on how paranoid, or how important your info is.

I totally agree with the other poster that suggested Zone Alarm - the
commercial version, not the free one. Its a belter of a product and is a
good price as well. Very customisable.

However, if you're serious about protecting yourself and also want to share
your connection with a few other computers, then I would get a linksys
firewall and router combo. We got one and it was in the region of 160 quid.
We needed that though because our home network wasnt very good in peer to
peer mode

Good luck

Simon