NAT vs non-NAT for web server?

Old August 4th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Default NAT vs non-NAT for web server?

Chris Newport wrote:

I'm about to switch from cable to ADSL in order to get a fixed IP
address so I can run a web server.

Ideally I want to hang two or more PCs off an integrated
modem/router/firewall, one configured as a dedicated web server and the
other as a standard PC for web browsing etc. One of the SOLCOM routers
has been recommended.

I'm a bit confused about NAT. Are using NAT and running a web server
mutually exclusive? ie will I need to configure the router as non-NAT,
have the web server as the only directly connected machine and then run
a proxy (or NAT) on the web server to serve my other machine(s) via a
second ethernet port? Or does the router sort all the translation out?

TIA,

Chris

Hi,
if you have to use NAT, then you will need to have the web server on a
fixed internal IP such as 192.168.0.5 (exact IP depends on your routers
setup). You will then need to forward port 80 from the router to that fixed
IP. Exactly how to do that depends on the router, but normally there will
be a port forwarding screen which you can use to configure things.

Getting a /29 will make the configuration easier, but you will then need a
decent firewall as well.

--

Martin