Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

Old August 4th 03, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Master

Default Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

I have used the inbuilt firewall (voyager 2000 set up) but encountered
connection problems to various sites. Only when I disabled this inbuilt
firewall function did I get things returning to normal. I must say I
initially set it to high security but I thought I was doing right. I have
now installed on each networked computer McAfee Virus Scan 7 which includes
a firewall that performs more than admirably. I have tested it on the
"Shields Up" site and the report back was that my computer was invisible.
I am currently using BTBroadband and for the record it has been a very good
service witha more than helpful/pleasant helpline when required.

Cheers
Smiler
Old August 4th 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Master" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have used the inbuilt firewall (voyager 2000 set up) but encountered
connection problems to various sites. Only when I disabled this inbuilt
firewall function did I get things returning to normal. I must say I
initially set it to high security but I thought I was doing right. I have
now installed on each networked computer McAfee Virus Scan 7 which

includes
a firewall that performs more than admirably. I have tested it on the
"Shields Up" site and the report back was that my computer was invisible.
I am currently using BTBroadband and for the record it has been a very

good
service witha more than helpful/pleasant helpline when required.

But then, with just ICF on you still get a report that everything's closed
on your PC (which it is).
:-)
--
_______________________
Maximillian!

Old August 5th 03, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:44:21 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

Sounds to me that ICF is fine.

But it only filters incoming data. Get a proper firewall. I use Sygate
Personal (free) and am happy with it.

Andrew.
Old August 5th 03, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hopey

If the XP firewall only filters incoming traffic how come to send files
through MSMessenger I have to disable the firewall If I try to send them
with it enabled it just blocks them.

Old August 5th 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

If the XP firewall only filters incoming traffic how come to send files
through MSMessenger I have to disable the firewall If I try to send them
with it enabled it just blocks them.

I have this problem as well. It probably isnt that it isnt letting your
connection request OUT, its probably just not letting the remote computer
connect to another port on the way IN.

Just a hunch - ICF definately doesnt filter out going

- Bobby, just ask yourself - are you smart enough to stop your computer
getting infected by a nasty trojan that will sned crap from your computer. -
Seeing as you know what a firewall is, I would say you are perfectly smart
enough to have decent anti virus installed, and know not to open suspicous
emails either in the preview pane or by double clicking on them. I set up
two accounts - one for friends and people i trust, the other, a hotmail
account with a really obscure name, which I give out to companies, and even
then I only do that when I have to.

I dont get much spam at hotmail still, but it doesnt matter if I do get
something dangerous - I just set outlook not to open the email in the
preview pane (can be dangerous) and not to download anyimages or potentially
dangerous content until I'v read the text of the message.

ICF will be fine if your just a typical joe bloggs user

Simon

Old August 5th 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:08:16 +0100, "Hopey" wrote:

If the XP firewall only filters incoming traffic how come to send files
through MSMessenger I have to disable the firewall If I try to send them
with it enabled it just blocks them.

Because the XP firewall is crap and MS Messenger is crap. Why do
people limit themselves using the crap MS bundle with their OS?

Andrew.
Old August 5th 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Because the XP firewall is crap and MS Messenger is crap. Why do
people limit themselves using the crap MS bundle with their OS?

Andrew.

In your opinion. You are right though, there are some great products and MS
has missed the boat on occasion - like with IE, but then ALL MS products
(after the release of XP have been pretty solid) I havent seen a single
crash of XP Pro in 2 years! and I thrash the bitch for everything its
worth - with servers and all sorts of development environments.

As an example of a great bit of software, take office - its completely
programable - down the the last nook and cranny of functionality. But do you
need to know that in order to write a letter, or do a mail merge? Not at
all.

I'm no fan of MS business practices because I think they are stiffiling
inovation, byt MS does market many of the best designed products, be it
office or Visual Studio. I'm sure you don't aggree that those are good
products, but I doubt theres much I can do about that. I'd love to see Linux
put the ****ters up MS, just to get the competition going:

As it stands though - Linux will never ever be a real alternative to windows
unless ******* from the long hair and sandles fraternity stop calling their
products stupid names and concentrate on making EVERYTHING as easy as pie!
:-)

Windows XP, is a joy to work with.

The reason why they probably didnt include a better firewall is because:
a. They may release a firewall themselves? Not a clue
b. They cant lambasted if they include software with their operating system
as being anti-competitive, even though Linux bundles the kitchen sink with
it. Its fair enough to slap them for threatening suppliers, but moaning that
they include standard software is a bit stupid.

The reason why joe bloggs will always choose MS is - Its there, it works,
its ususally very easy to use, and the people that make linux distros -
although many are getting better - still can't talk in english and make
working as easy as windows does.

Sorry, but thats just the way it is. If you can change that then I'd even
help!

Kind regards
Simon

Old August 6th 03, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

Just to add, I dont take sides in Windows/Linux debate, I happily use both.
For example I prefer linux servers for hosting, as its so much easier to
remote admin etc.. and has nifty little tools and such windows doesnt. Dont
know where I'd be without grep or the ability to redirect command
input/output or pipe one command into another.

Ian

Old August 6th 03, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

I quite agree. I use both as well. In fact I'm looking at XP, Server 2003
and Mandrake right now in different Tabs because I'm using VMWare. God thats
cool!

Simon

Old August 6th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

"Simon Harvey" wrote in message
I quite agree. I use both as well. In fact I'm looking at XP, Server 2003
and Mandrake right now in different Tabs because I'm using VMWare. God

thats
cool!

Simon

Hehe lucky you While my own comp could probably run that lot at once, I
need my 512MB ram for games usage
A mate of mine has a GB in his... but that's slightly overkill at present..
896MB would be my ideal maximum... until games start requesting 512MB as a
minimum.

Ian.