Quick MTU question

Old August 4th 03, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip SC

Default Quick MTU question

Could someone le me know what the recommended MTU is for Pipex ˝ meg ADSL,
please?

Many thanks.

Old August 4th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

Doesn't matter which ISP as they all use BT's DSL[ok except bull dog nit
pickers] but try 1430 1458, but BT are fixing the 1500 problem at the moment
so 1500 will work soon again.

Old August 5th 03, 06:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:59:15 +0100, "Gus" wrote:

Doesn't matter which ISP as they all use BT's DSL[ok except bull dog nit
pickers] but try 1430 1458, but BT are fixing the 1500 problem at the moment
so 1500 will work soon again.

Its not a global issue for all ADSL users. 1500 works just fine for me
on Nildram.

Andrew.
Old August 5th 03, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

[email protected] writeme.com wrote:

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:59:15 +0100, "Gus" wrote:

Doesn't matter which ISP as they all use BT's DSL[ok except bull dog nit
pickers] but try 1430 1458, but BT are fixing the 1500 problem at the

moment
so 1500 will work soon again.

Its not a global issue for all ADSL users. 1500 works just fine for me
on Nildram.

Andrew.

Hi,
1500 works fine for most people. But the issue is within the BT
network. What happens is that if you use an MTU of 1500, and the BT network
is busy, the routers in the network cannot pass all 1500 bytes in one go, so
your data gets put in a queue in the router. These packets that need to be
fragmented are then treated as low priority, so take longer than normal to
get through or even occasioally get dropped. Note that this only occurs
when the BT routers are busy.

Reducing the MTU to 1458 allows the router to pass the packets without
fragmenting them, removing this delay. In most cases, this problem will not
stop things working, but it will slow the connection down at peak periods.
One of the problems is that as soon as packets are dropped, TCP will backoff
the speed slightly. If you are unlucky and have to go through one of the
overworked BT routers, then several packets could be dropped resulting in
TCP backing off even more.

--

Martin
Old August 5th 03, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark˛

snip

Reducing the MTU to 1458 allows the router to pass the packets without
fragmenting them, removing this delay.

snip

This is only a general guide for MTU size, for example at the moment:-
ping -f -l 1458 www.bbc.co.uk
reports that the packets are fragmented.
Need to reduce MTU to 1402 to overcome fragmenting at this time

--

Mark˛

Old August 5th 03, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:53:56 +0100, Mark˛
wrote:

This is only a general guide for MTU size, for example at the moment:-
ping -f -l 1458 www.bbc.co.uk
reports that the packets are fragmented.
Need to reduce MTU to 1402 to overcome fragmenting at this time

But with Nildram, I get the same results with 1458 or 1402, a nasty
ping of 80. With the default 1500 I get a ping of 15.

Andrew.
Old August 5th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

wrote:

This is only a general guide for MTU size, for example at the moment:-
ping -f -l 1458 www.bbc.co.uk
reports that the packets are fragmented.
Need to reduce MTU to 1402 to overcome fragmenting at this time

But with Nildram, I get the same results with 1458 or 1402, a nasty
ping of 80. With the default 1500 I get a ping of 15.

Andrew.

Andrew are you saying
ping -f -l 1500 www.bbc.co.uk
or
ping -f www.bbc.co.uk
gives you 15 ms ?
Or maybe some other option ?

Thanks

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old August 6th 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:00:10 UTC, "Eric Parker"
wrote:

Ping defaults (without -l size parameter) to 32 bytes.

On your system, perhaps. But that's a major generalisation. I have at
least two systems here that defaul to 64 bytes, and I'm sure there are
others.

--
Bob Eager

rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Yep. Should have been more clear.
On my Win 2K system ping defaults to 32 bytes.
I suspect on my Red Hat 8 it's 64 bytes.

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old August 6th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:56:23 UTC, "Eric Parker"
wrote:

Yep. Should have been more clear.
On my Win 2K system ping defaults to 32 bytes.
I suspect on my Red Hat 8 it's 64 bytes.

On the two systems immediately to hand he

FreeBSD 5.1: 64 bytes
OS/2 4.52: 64 bytes

--
Bob Eager