Routers and NAT

Old August 5th 03, 03:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Routers and NAT

Sorry I'm a bit of a noobie.

Do you only need to configure NAT if you need incoming connections to come
to a certain machine (eg. mail server/http server) and not say if you play
Counter-strike.

What happens if you have 2 PC's connected to a router and you play
Counter-Strike on just one or both PC's. How does everything know where to
send the right information? Does this use NAT in any form?

Thanks in advance...

Old August 5th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 03:24:55 +0100, "tHatDudeUK"
wrote:

Do you only need to configure NAT if you need incoming connections to come
to a certain machine (eg. mail server/http server) and not say if you play
Counter-strike.

If you run a server, you need to forward the relevent ports.

What happens if you have 2 PC's connected to a router and you play
Counter-Strike on just one or both PC's. How does everything know where to
send the right information? Does this use NAT in any form?

That is exactly what NAT is for. You don't need to understand how, it
just does it.

Andrew.
Old August 5th 03, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

[email protected] writeme.com wrote in message
That is exactly what NAT is for. You don't need to understand how, it
just does it.

That's what I was hoping :-)

Old August 5th 03, 08:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"CB" wrote in message
The wonders of NA(P)T.

What is NA(P)T?

Old August 5th 03, 08:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Khyle Westmoreland

In , tHatDudeUK
farted out:
"CB" wrote in message
The wonders of NA(P)T.

What is NA(P)T?

Network address port translation - where the router/switch/whatever can take
connections from outside on your external IP and send the data to an
internal IP on a different port (different port optional).

....I think...

--
Khyle Westmoreland
http : / / www (dot) khyle (dot) org (dot) uk

Old August 5th 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

[email protected] writeme.com wrote in message
That is exactly what NAT is for. You don't need to understand how, it
just does it.

That's what I was hoping :-)

As Andrew said, things like games will just work through it. The only thing
is if you host anything inside your network/behind the NAT router, like a
web or ftp server, or if you host games for your mates to join.
You'll find that your router will have something called "Port forwarding",
or similar, this is where you tell it what port(s) to redirect to what IP
your own computer is set to (Its easy enough to set a static ip in network
properties - tcp/ip).
Also, if your router does firewalling, dont forget to make sure it actually
allows any ports your forwarding.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Old August 5th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Ian Gibbons" wrote in message
As Andrew said, things like games will just work through it. The only

thing
is if you host anything inside your network/behind the NAT router, like a
web or ftp server, or if you host games for your mates to join.
You'll find that your router will have something called "Port forwarding",
or similar, this is where you tell it what port(s) to redirect to what IP
your own computer is set to (Its easy enough to set a static ip in network
properties - tcp/ip).
Also, if your router does firewalling, dont forget to make sure it

actually
allows any ports your forwarding.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Cheers, well this firewall config business sounds very complicated with the
510v4 but I think i'll take the dive and ditch my frog and take the
difficult to configure router.

I'm having probs with my USB scanner which I guess is related to having the
frog plugged into the same machine as I hear it likes to draw lots of power.

Old August 5th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

[...]

A wise move ;p
From what I've heard USB ADSL Modems are nothing but trouble unless you have
a seperate self-powered USB hub.
Seriously though, there's no reason why using a router should cause any
problems. The NAT gives you some inherent security as none of your machines
would be directly accessible, a firewall just adds that little bit extra on
top. Even if you did somehow activate a trojan-infected file, it wouldnt be
much use as the port it uses would need to be forwarded to the infected
machine.
Just as any serious net user would say, using good 'ol common sense, running
an antivirus product that you keep updated and using a firewall, your as
safe as you can be.

As for finding out about certain ports, a quick search on old time favourite
google.com/co.uk should answer that for you.

Regards,
Ian

Old August 5th 03, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Ian Gibbons" wrote in message
Just thought I'd add that I personally have enabled every security setting
on my vigor 2600, as here at TGFN towers I'll be hosting some things so
security is paramount (and thus cause it'll be forever connected)

Thanks for your help,

How happy are you with your Vigor? That's another choice on my hit list
(besides speedtouch 510v4) but it's demoted because of its price (although
if persuaded I'd buy quality and features for the extra price. What is the
firewall like?

Old August 5th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
anc

tHatDudeUK wrote:

Sorry I'm a bit of a noobie.

What happens if you have 2 PC's connected to a router and you play
Counter-Strike on just one or both PC's. How does everything know where to
send the right information?

Thanks in advance...

To answer your question, every packet of information that you sent on a lan
or intranet/internet has IP header information. Its this header information
that contains the destination address. If your lan is setup with a typical
192.168.x.x style adressing then any header info that starts 192.168.x.x is
for the lan, anything else your router will send to ythe internet. Its a
lot more complicated than that, but thats the general principles.