Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

Old August 4th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

Default Is the XP built-in firewall OK?

In article , Bobby
writes
I'm about to get broadband installed and I was wondering if the built-in
Windows XP firewall protection (if enabled) was OK - or should I purchase
something like Norton Firewall?

Disable the xp firewall... it only does half a job and instal Sygate or,
Zone Alarm. Both free
Cheers.

Bobby

Wally Hayward
Free download. Block SPAM Now! http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/5712

Old August 5th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:58:38 +0100, Walter Hayward
wrote:

In article , Bobby
writes
I'm about to get broadband installed and I was wondering if the built-in
Windows XP firewall protection (if enabled) was OK - or should I purchase
something like Norton Firewall?

Disable the xp firewall... it only does half a job and instal Sygate or,
Zone Alarm. Both free
Cheers.

Bobby

How do you disable the XP firewall? Do you just turn it off, and is
doing that enough for it not to interfere with any other firewall?

Wally Hayward
Free download. Block SPAM Now! http://BlockSpamNow.com/r/5712

In limine sapientiae
Old August 5th 03, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , John Edgar
writes
wrote:

In article , Bobby
writes
I'm about to get broadband installed and I was wondering if the built-in
Windows XP firewall protection (if enabled) was OK - or should I purchase
something like Norton Firewall?

Disable the xp firewall... it only does half a job and instal Sygate or,
Zone Alarm. Both free
Cheers.

Bobby

How do you disable the XP firewall? Do you just turn it off, and is
doing that enough for it not to interfere with any other firewall?

Yes.. turn it off and it disables it... no interference.
Quickest route:

Start
Connect to
Properties

Don't forget this has to be done for every connectoid you have

Old August 6th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

How do you disable the XP firewall? Do you just turn it off, and is
doing that enough for it not to interfere with any other firewall?

Yes.. turn it off and it disables it... no interference.
Quickest route:

Start
Connect to
Properties

Don't forget this has to be done for every connectoid you have

Great stuff, thanks a lot.

Old August 6th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:19:42 +0100, Martin Cooper
wrote:

Thanks a lot

In limine sapientiae
Old August 7th 03, 05:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Walter Hayward" wrote in message
In article , John Edgar
writes
wrote:

[...]

It is OFF by default. In fact, you'll have to ENABLE it on a connectoid to
use it. Otherwise, just don't enable it

Paying more money for something that goes for free and does the job - this
is what "being alternative" is all about, apparently.
--
Maximillian!

Old August 7th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

wrote:

[...]

I sort of agree, certinly with the bit about paying for something when
there is already a perfectly good, free, program.
In limine sapientiae