New Line and ADSL

Old August 5th 03, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Fox

Default New Line and ADSL

Have had a new business line installed by BT, as old line was not ADSL
compatable (FeatureNet), 3 weeks ago now. Although line is usable it
doesnot appear in the BT Broadband Tracker and as such (I'm informed)
can't have any line test or order placed on it for ADSL.

No one in BT seems bothered that I have a new business line, put in
specifically for ADSL, but which as yet is "invisible" to testing.
Obviously I'm a bit peeved to say the least having already been on 6
weeks getting new line etc sorted out and informed that after the lines
install it would take 7 days to get the line ADSL enabled and tested.

Anyone been through this and any ways out other than just sitting
waiting, paying rental on a line and speaking to BT who are not
interested

"it can take 3 weeks for the engineer to register the line and up to 42
days for it to appear in the tracker"

Help please

Peter
--
Peter Fox
Old August 5th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
in2minds

I ordered a new line last Friday, after the current line failed the test for BB, and the
engineer is coming out this Friday to install a new line ONLY if it passes the line test
for BB otherwise I don't want it.
I read the 42 day until it's recognised thing also, but, as this line is specifically
for BB and will be tested at the time of installation I'm hoping to have BB within a
week or so.
I'll report back on Friday.

LJ

Old August 5th 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edwards

"Peter Fox" wrote in message
[...]

If you are using A N Other service provider i.e anyone except BT you will
find the everything will be very long winded and protracted.

If you choose BT to be your service provider, you will find that everything
will move very much quicker.

You could always try writing to Oftel it probably won't help you, but it
will help to make the case about just how obstructive BT are to other
service providers.

Old August 5th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Fox" wrote in message
[...]

You have been misinformed...

As soon as a line is installed (within 24 hours or so) - ISP's can place
an order for ADSL on that line

In the past the "public" ADSL checkers (http://www.bt.com/broadband/ and
those based on it) may not have been updated for up to 42 days - though
ISP's have always had acccess to other BT ordering systems which have
much more upto date information line status

Since BT have released their latest version of their public checker -
details/changes such as new lines are also meant to appear "publically"
within 24 hours or so...

It could be the ISP you are trying to order from hasn't updated its own
checker to BT Wholesale's latest version - in that case you have a
couple of options..

1) Ask the ISP to place a "manual order" for ADSL
2) Choose a different ISP
3) Keep on waiting..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 5th 03, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Roberts

"Sunil Sood" writes:

As soon as a line is installed (within 24 hours or so) - ISP's can place
an order for ADSL on that line

I can confirm this. I had a new line installed, and I went to
Eclipse's website to order ADSL the same day. Although it said on the
site that they couldn't confirm that ADSL was available, I placed the
order anyway, and a week later I am up and running.

- Paul

--
PGP Public Key: http://www.stelo.uklinux.net/publickey.asc
Esperanto Parolata
Old August 5th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Fox

As soon as a line is installed (within 24 hours or so) - ISP's can place
an order for ADSL on that line

In the past the "public" ADSL checkers (http://www.bt.com/broadband/ and
those based on it) may not have been updated for up to 42 days - though
ISP's have always had acccess to other BT ordering systems which have
much more upto date information line status

Thanks for the help Sunil have chased up ISP and BT with this
information and things seem to be moving.

Remains to be seen how fast.....................

Peter
--
Peter Fox
Old August 5th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:30:48 UTC, Peter Fox
wrote:

Have had a new business line installed by BT, as old line was not ADSL
compatable (FeatureNet), 3 weeks ago now. Although line is usable it
doesnot appear in the BT Broadband Tracker and as such (I'm informed)
can't have any line test or order placed on it for ADSL.

You can ask your ISP to place the order manually, and a good ISP will do
so even if the line does not 'appear' (i.e. they need to be persistent).

This is nothing new. I had a new line put in 15 months ago, and I placed
the order within one hour of the BT man leaving the house. The ADSL was
live five days later.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..