802.11b vs. 802.11g - current view?

Old August 5th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default 802.11b vs. 802.11g - current view?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

have previously read that 802.11g gives higher bandwidth but less range

than
802.11b.

However there is always the possibility that the 802.11g kit is better
engineered to overcome the shorter range issue.

Which is the best option if range is important?

Cables! :-)

Old August 5th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

tHatDudeUK wrote:
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

have previously read that 802.11g gives higher bandwidth but less
range than 802.11b.

However there is always the possibility that the 802.11g kit is
better engineered to overcome the shorter range issue.

Which is the best option if range is important?

Cables! :-)

Best speed is cable - longest range is wireless - but speed is shot

have you ever seen how far a 100m cable goes when you have to route it
around door frames etc

Old August 7th 03, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"David Cherry" wrote in message
100 m of cat5 is about 30-40 plus 2 ends at 20p each plus 10mins to make
the cable. Its not that expensive

Well isn't that about how much a wireless router costs extra above an
equivalent wired version? :-) I think it's expensive in terms of the
wireless would cost you 0 and a 100m cable 30+

Old August 7th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

have previously read that 802.11g gives higher bandwidth but less range

than
802.11b.

However there is always the possibility that the 802.11g kit is better
engineered to overcome the shorter range issue.

Which is the best option if range is important?

Cables! :-)

Or to put it another way.
B*ll*cks!

The cable won't go through the wall.
Wireless will.
So wireless has better range.

Old August 7th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

"Keith Roberts" wrote in message
Best speed is cable - longest range is wireless - but speed is shot

have you ever seen how far a 100m cable goes when you have to route it
around door frames etc

Come to think of it yes, and a 100m cable would be rather costly.

100 m of cat5 is about 30-40 plus 2 ends at 20p each plus 10mins to make
the cable. Its not that expensive

Plus two days to run the cable through walls and floors.
Plus costs of redecoration
Plus the fact that the cable only goes to one point.

So 100m cables in a star layout to cover all potential points of access is
going to cost more than wireless, and be a pain to install.
Plus I don't want cables all over my sodding garden and draped across the
road to my neighbour's house.

Does nobody understand why wireless is deployed, or are you just braindead
trolls?

Old August 7th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Cherry

[...]

There are some buildings where wireless isn't worth it. Having just
installed a wireless network where almost 1 wireless hub was required per
room,
since the walls had steel reinforcing rod. This made a nice Faraday cage.

Old August 7th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

tHatDudeUK wrote:
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Cables! :-)

Or to put it another way.
B*ll*cks!

The cable won't go through the wall.
Wireless will.
So wireless has better range.

Not if the walls are 6 feet thick concrete :-) However, yes, I do
agree, a wireless router (preferably one found to have the *best*
range [with a nice aerial maybe]) would be better than cables...

Wish I had wireless some years ago - drill wouldnt go through brick wall -
it was only 1 foot long - someone gave me a 1m long drill that did it.
Wireless would have been so simple. I have had to crawl in bird **** in the
past to run a cable - how I loved that job.