ADSL, migration from 2 separate accounts

Old August 6th 03, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default ADSL, migration from 2 separate accounts

"Ian McNeill" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to get my head around a problem I'm having with planning
upgrade to ADSL.

My currently set up is as follows:

Homehighway. There are two computers connected to the ISDN

connections.
Each computer is owned by a different person ,and has its entirely own
demon account and sends/received email independant of the other.

Now assuming I've gotten over the problem of going from ISDN - ADSL,

will naturally want to kill my dial-up accounts and just run with the

1
ADSL account (be it demon or whoever I end up going with). however,

how
do I get the computers to still have totally independant emails, as

now
there will be only 1 ADSL account, instead of two dial-up accounts. I
assume receiving email isn't a problem, as I'm guessing all the ADSL
providers offer multiple pop3 accounts, but what about sending email.

assume sending is still done via SMTP, what happens if both computer
users attempt to send at the one time, is that a problem ?

I'm probably overcomplicating the scenerio, can someone "sort me out"

?

Hmm - network the two computers to share the one adsl line...

For email, as you say, have 2 seperate email accounts (say pop based) -
both users trying to send at the same time via SMTP shoudnlt be a
problem

Most ISP's give more than one POP 3 account - I don't think Demon do
though?

Regards
Sunil

Old August 6th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McNeill

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 01:05:26 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

[...]

I've figured out that the two computers will need to share the one
ADSL connection, I'll probably use a router at the access point and do
it that way. It is just the email situation that I need to get my head
around. As I understand it, Demon only give one pop3 login, I really
don't want one computer picking up all the email and then passing some
of it onto the other pc based on email address, I need both to work
completely independantly in that regard. I did not realise that some
ISP's give more than 1 pop3 login, it would appear that that would
solve my problem.

I'd like to go with nildram (as they do managed ISDN migration and
seem to have a reasonable reputation) however they only appear to
give 1 pop3 login account.

Regards
Ian
Old August 6th 03, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Roberts

wrote:

I've figured out that the two computers will need to share the one
ADSL connection, I'll probably use a router at the access point and do
it that way. It is just the email situation that I need to get my head
around. As I understand it, Demon only give one pop3 login, I really
don't want one computer picking up all the email and then passing some
of it onto the other pc based on email address, I need both to work
completely independantly in that regard. I did not realise that some
ISP's give more than 1 pop3 login, it would appear that that would
solve my problem.

Demon give you unlimited pop3 email addresses. Although I don't
currently have a Demon account, when I have had one in the past, they
assigned each user a domain of the form "username.demon.net". You
could then use anything you wanted before the @ sign. Logging into the
POP3 server with "username" would give you all the email for all
addresses. However, you could login with a special form, I think it
was "email+username" to just download the messages for a specific
address.

This used to work really well, and I am sure that Demon still do it,
but its probably best to check with them to make sure.

Cheers, - Paul

--
PGP Public Key: http://www.stelo.uklinux.net/publickey.asc
Esperanto Parolata
Old August 6th 03, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if you would want to do it this way or not, but have you
thought of having 3rd party email addresses, e.g hotmail, and leave the ISP
POP3 account as an admin account (e.g account details etc)?

Old August 6th 03, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Reid

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:38:57 +0100, "Eddie Grant"
.****e wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You can use a single adsl line to access pop3 mailboxes from an
infinite number of email accounts (provided that the mail service
provider permits access from a pop3 client anywhere on the internet as
long as it is set up with the correct access credentials i.e. address
and password). Many (most?) do this.

What you cannot normally do is send email from these mail accounts (as
this classes as relaying and is normally banned as an anti-spam
measure).

Therefore the simplest thing is to use your adsl supplier's SMTP
server to send all mail. Alternatively this could be a stand-alone
email provider.

Set up two independent mail accounts (or mailboxes) with any supplier
(which can be a "free" provider). Set up the client on one machine to
read account#1 pop3 mailbox and the client on the other machine to
read accoun#2 pop3 mailbox. Make sure the "Reply to" and "From"
settings on machine#1 are set to the accoun#1 values and those on
machine#2 are set to those for account#2.

As far as the recipient is concerned, emails appear to come from
independent accounts.

All very standard and all very simple. I use it the other way round to
access all my various accounts from a variety of single machines on
different sorts of supplier (direct connection, adsl and dial-up)

Remember that BT do sell a "bare" system with no email provision - you
have to do that separately

Regards

Ron
Old August 6th 03, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McNeill

Demon give you unlimited pop3 email addresses. Although I don't
currently have a Demon account, when I have had one in the past, they
assigned each user a domain of the form "username.demon.net". You
could then use anything you wanted before the @ sign. Logging into the
POP3 server with "username" would give you all the email for all
addresses. However, you could login with a special form, I think it
was "email+username" to just download the messages for a specific
address.

This used to work really well, and I am sure that Demon still do it,
but its probably best to check with them to make sure.

Cheers, - Paul

Paul,
Thanks for responding, are you sure that is how demon pop3 works ? I
know that email addressed to , will all
come into my demon email account, however I think to receive email via
Pop3 I only have 1 pop3 login and password, and all that email comes to
the one place. I wasn't aware that you can log into the pop3 email
server using different email addresses and just pick up THAT email. I
know you can do something akin to that from the webmail interface, but I
think that is a different interface.

Regards

Ian
Old August 6th 03, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McNeill

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:17:22 +0100, Ron Reid wrote:
[...]

Ron, thanks for your response. Is there any issue related to both my
computers accessing my ISPs SMTP server at the one time, is it generally
an "allowable" thing ?

Regards

Ian
Old August 6th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Roberts

Ian McNeill writes:

Thanks for responding, are you sure that is how demon pop3 works ?

No, I can't be absolutely sure that this is still the case, I'm
afraid, because I no longer have a Demon account to test it
with. However, if you go to the following URL:

http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/products/mail/

and click on "Multiple mailboxes with SDPS" you will see the info
about how to do this via Demon's POP3 service. I guess the fact that
the page is still up means it should still work.

Cheers, - Paul

Old August 7th 03, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

[...]

Hi Ian,

I cannot see any reason why your disposition shouldn't be allowed.

When accessing SMTP server to send mail, you don't authenticate yourself.
You only authenticate yourself when reading your mail (e.g. POP3).

When two computers will try to send mail through a single SMTP server, what
happens depends on SMTP server settings. Either there will be just two
sessions open from your computer to the server sending mail simultaneously,
or SMTP server wouldn't allow to open second SMTP session while the first is
active. Okay, then next time it will accept session when other SMTP session
dies away.

I'd only check beforehand that the ISP of your choice does NOT specifically
ban networked home computers from connection by their policy. It's stupid,
but it occurs sometimes. Anyway the UK ISP choice is now quite decent.

--
Maximillian!