Kilostream usage

Old August 6th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon J. Rowe

Default Kilostream usage

I'm looking set up an internet cafe in a village hall, they already appear
to have a leased line from NTL installed but I unsure of it's current
status.

Connected to the wallbox is a Kilostream box, but there's nothing connected
to the (as I recall) DB15 marked 'X.121'. What other equipment is needed to
provide IP access over a leased line?

Simon

Old August 6th 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.blueyonder.co.uk

I'm looking set up an internet cafe in a village hall, they already appear
to have a leased line from NTL installed but I unsure of it's current
status.

Connected to the wallbox is a Kilostream box, but there's nothing

connected
to the (as I recall) DB15 marked 'X.121'. What other equipment is needed

provide IP access over a leased line?

Usually such lines are installed to connect back to the local council's
network so really you need to find out where it terminates and if it is
live, if it is then I would surgest a Cisco 805 router with X21 cable to
connect to the NTU and you'll need to liase with the other end as to what IP
addresses etc to use, probally best to get a separate ADSL or ISDN line with
a suitable ISP for fixed cost access.

Mark Simcock CCNA

Old August 6th 03, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BLH

"Simon J. Rowe" wrote in message ...
I'm looking set up an internet cafe in a village hall, they already appear
to have a leased line from NTL installed but I unsure of it's current
status.

Connected to the wallbox is a Kilostream box, but there's nothing connected
to the (as I recall) DB15 marked 'X.121'. What other equipment is needed to
provide IP access over a leased line?

Simon

A kilostream is a point to point link so do you know where this link
goes/what or who is at the other end?

Also if it is active someone must own it and be paying the rental,
depending on where the other end is it could be pretty expensive. Who
owns the village hall - will probably be the same organisation/person
who owns the kilostream.

What speed is the kilostream - kilostream is 64k, kilostream-N is
anything between 64k and 1.98Mbps in 64k increments. If it's only 64k
you might just as well have an anytime ISDN dial up account - it'll be
miles cheaper than a kilostream.

Assuming it is active and the other end is an ISP and you are free to
use it you will need a router with an X.21 interface. If it is just a
64k kilostream you will not require a high spec router but you will
need to consider NAT and firewall security. If on the assumption that
the kilostream does go to an ISP talk to them and get their
recommendation.

If the Kilostream is not active then you may need to start from
scratch - is broadband available where you are?

BH
Old August 6th 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hamman

"Simon J. Rowe" wrote in message
I'm looking set up an internet cafe in a village hall, they already appear
to have a leased line from NTL installed but I unsure of it's current
status.

Connected to the wallbox is a Kilostream box, but there's nothing

connected
to the (as I recall) DB15 marked 'X.121'. What other equipment is needed

provide IP access over a leased line?

Simon

There should be a sticker on the box, or at the point where the cable enters
the building; which will tell you where the cable terminates.

The majority of leased lies dont go to an ISP, and will be used to join
campanies together, or link council buildings.

Its probably best to leave it alone (especially if it isnt your property)
and use a cable or ADSL line; or if you cant get these 128k ISDN would be
the best option for an internet cafe

Old August 6th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

There should be a sticker on the box, or at the point where the cable
enters
the building; which will tell you where the cable terminates.

The majority of leased lies dont go to an ISP, and will be used to join
campanies together, or link council buildings.

Its probably best to leave it alone (especially if it isnt your property)
and use a cable or ADSL line; or if you cant get these 128k ISDN would be
the best option for an internet cafe

Or alternatively you could do what places like that in Beccles seem to do
and share a 28.8k connection between 30 486 based pcs.

Old August 7th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon J. Rowe

BLH wrote:

A kilostream is a point to point link so do you know where this link
goes/what or who is at the other end?

I'm aware of that, I'm assuming that as it has an NTL sticker on it and the
local populace insist they have a 'broadband' connection it is terminated
at the NTL NOC in the nearby city.

Also if it is active someone must own it and be paying the rental,
depending on where the other end is it could be pretty expensive. Who
owns the village hall - will probably be the same organisation/person
who owns the kilostream.

It was given to the hall along with two PCs as part of some IT training
initiative. Who picks up the tab for the leased line is a very good
question.

If the Kilostream is not active then you may need to start from
scratch - is broadband available where you are?

The local exchange is in a nearby town with an ADSL RFS of 15 Oct.
Unfortunately the village is probably beyond the 5.5km limit. Any ideas
what sort of distance the extended reach trials are aimed at?

Simon

Old August 8th 03, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BLH

BLH wrote:

A kilostream is a point to point link so do you know where this link
goes/what or who is at the other end?

I'm aware of that, I'm assuming that as it has an NTL sticker on it and the
local populace insist they have a 'broadband' connection it is terminated
at the NTL NOC in the nearby city.

Not necessarily - If it was part of a training initiative as you say
below, who's initiative was it? If it is the local/county council it
could be terminated at a council building or library and then using
the council's network. Alternatively it could be the LEA in which case
it could be terminated at a school or college. Either way I would
speak to NTL - they will know.

Also if it is active someone must own it and be paying the rental,
depending on where the other end is it could be pretty expensive. Who
owns the village hall - will probably be the same organisation/person
who owns the kilostream.

It was given to the hall along with two PCs as part of some IT training
initiative. Who picks up the tab for the leased line is a very good
question.

Back to the training initiative - if this was some short term thing
(i.e. budget available for a year or two) then it probably is no
longer active and therefore no-one is paying for it anymore. If that
is the case you will probably need to start from scratch.

If the Kilostream is not active then you may need to start from
scratch - is broadband available where you are?

The local exchange is in a nearby town with an ADSL RFS of 15 Oct.
Unfortunately the village is probably beyond the 5.5km limit. Any ideas
what sort of distance the extended reach trials are aimed at?

I think current trials are up to 6km. Of course if you are a user of
the hall and not the owner or the owner of the telephone line then you
will need to talk to whoever does own it if you want ADSL.

Thinking about this you are going to run into big hurdles trying to
get communications links where contracts are required into a public
building - I think you will have to overcome council red-tape if they
own it. Is there a community spirited business within wireless
distance of the hall?

BH

Simon