ADSL, migration from 2 separate accounts

Old August 6th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweetie Pooh

Default ADSL, migration from 2 separate accounts

Ian McNeill honoured uk.telecom.broadband on
Wed 06 Aug 2003 12:50:54a with
news
Hi there,

I'm trying to get my head around a problem I'm having with planning
upgrade to ADSL.

My currently set up is as follows:

Homehighway. There are two computers connected to the ISDN connections.
Each computer is owned by a different person ,and has its entirely own
demon account and sends/received email independant of the other.

Now assuming I've gotten over the problem of going from ISDN - ADSL, I
will naturally want to kill my dial-up accounts and just run with the 1
ADSL account (be it demon or whoever I end up going with). however, how
do I get the computers to still have totally independant emails, as now
there will be only 1 ADSL account, instead of two dial-up accounts. I
assume receiving email isn't a problem, as I'm guessing all the ADSL
providers offer multiple pop3 accounts, but what about sending email. I
assume sending is still done via SMTP, what happens if both computer
users attempt to send at the one time, is that a problem ?

I'm probably overcomplicating the scenerio, can someone "sort me out" ?

Regards

Ian

As others already have said, use a modem/router set up to login to the ADSL
account.

Set up separate mailboxes on the account for users. The default box will
catch any the ISP can't box correctly.

Set up email software with profiles to attach to each mail box separately.
Since you use separate PC's one profile per PC. Each PC can only
read(download) mail where the user has both account name and password.
Sending mail may be open though.

(I share a PC so I don't store passwords in the profile. Any user can read
any mail already downloaded in Windoze, in Linux O/S accounts keep mails
separate.)

I have mailboxes as follows

default (postmaster) catch all and admin messages
myself - for me
wifie - for my wife
child - for my son (though at 5 months he is a little young)
junk - for SPAM, I may check this or just let the ISP expire them
fax - for fax to email
me2 - forwarding account to my work email.

my email is then

I login using account and account password

default mail is account and account password

my mail is account+myself and my password.