Connecting to Freeserve

Old August 6th 03, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

Default Connecting to Freeserve

Hi

I have been connected to broadband (with Freeserve) for the last few days
and still have a lot to learn about the basics. To start off with I used
the USB Copperjet modem supplied and had no problem logging on to Freeserve
using the settings supplied through the Setup CD.

However, now I want to use my Sar 715 Router and I am having problems
logging on to my ISP. I have set-up the Router the way the manual said and I
can get the router to see both of my computers and also can get connected to
Freeserve (eventually).

The problem is I don't know how to ensure that I can log on to my ISP.
Although I usually succeed after fiddling around for a short (and sometimes
a "long") time, it is a new battle every time I switch on my computer,
although once I am logged on I stay logged on with no problem. Can anyone
explain to me how I can find a way to log on to my ISP. As far as I can see
there is no way to set up a dial up connection as there is with a narrowband
connection. I am using Windows XP/

Thanks

Ellis

Old August 6th 03, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
"Ellis" wrote:

[...]

Hi,
the review of the 715 here
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q3/sar_715.asp includes
details of how to configure it for broadband. You will need to use your
freeserve username / password, but other than that, it should be

identical.
With a router you do not normally use a dailup connection. Configuration

is
usually done via a browser interface.

--

Martin

Thanks Martin

When you use the freeserve setup disk you get an icon that you can click on
to log on to your ISP. With the Router it is different; you don't have an
icon to click on. That is why I am finding the change over confusing. I
suppose all will become clear in time. Thanks for that link - very
interesting.

Ellis

Old August 7th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

Hi,
to try and clearup your confusion. When you connect to the internet
using a router, only the router logs into your ISP. It deals with the
username / password and all the basic settings. Assuming you are running
NAT, you then enable DHCP and NAT on the router, and set all the PC's to
obtain IP addresses automatically. The router then deals with
auto-configuring the PC's. The only other thing you might need to do is
ensure that on the connection tab of IE, the option 'never dial a
connection' is selected.

Once the process is completed, you never need to logon to the ISP again,

the
internet is just available directly accross your network. Hopefully, that
might help clear up your confusion, and not just confuse you even more

--

Martin

That has made things a lot clearer. It is late now but I will check out what
you say tomorrow. One thing that is of particular interest is your reference
to DHCP. I do not think that it is enabled on my router although the NAT
definitely is. Thanks for your help. I think I am getting there now.

Ellis