Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

Old August 6th 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

"Andy Hart" wrote in message
FreeUK will supply a USB modem and filter but I'd rather use a router

as
I wish to connect two networked machines, I've spoken to the customer
support at FreeUK and they said I could use a router instead of the
modem but they don't supply them and can't (or won't) give me any
information on which model to get or what specs are required.

1) Can anyone comment on the quality of the FreeUK service or
suggest a better supplier.

2) What equipment do I need to set this up

3) Which router do I get

Have a look at the forums for http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for answers
and advice to all the above..

Basically speaking, you will need a router/adsl modem that supports
PPPoA as thats the standard BT Wholesale use in their network.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 7th 03, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hart

In message , Sunil Sood
writes

"Andy Hart" wrote in message
FreeUK will supply a USB modem and filter but I'd rather use a router

as
I wish to connect two networked machines, I've spoken to the customer
support at FreeUK and they said I could use a router instead of the
modem but they don't supply them and can't (or won't) give me any
information on which model to get or what specs are required.

1) Can anyone comment on the quality of the FreeUK service or
suggest a better supplier.

2) What equipment do I need to set this up

3) Which router do I get

Have a look at the forums for http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for answers
and advice to all the above..

Good site, thanks

Basically speaking, you will need a router/adsl modem that supports
PPPoA as thats the standard BT Wholesale use in their network.

I hadn't realised I needed a "router/modem" instead of a plain router.

Regards
--
Andy Hart
Old August 7th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy Hart" wrote in message

Basically speaking, you will need a router/adsl modem that supports
PPPoA as thats the standard BT Wholesale use in their network.

I hadn't realised I needed a "router/modem" instead of a plain router.

yes, "plain" routers are fine for cable modem users - but you need one
with a built in "ADSL modem"..

Regards
Sunil