BTO - months of "dead frozen connections" Advice?

Old August 7th 03, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

Default BTO - months of "dead frozen connections" Advice?

"guv" wrote in message

Ive been a BTO customer since 4th October 2000 (yes an early adopter!)

For the last 6 months or so, I have had problems with the connection I
have. It doesnt disconnect - just leaves me with a connection that is
completely useless, since I can neither send or receive any data
packets on whatever I attempt. If I disconnect, it can take hours to
reconnect - only for the service to fail again from a couple of
minutes to maybe a day. Once it goes - it goes!

This fault is quite intermittent, but has been extrememly bad for over
a month. Being a subsciber to 2 pay usenet services, its even worse,
since I am paying good money after bad.

I have looged with BTO the problem, but they seem to think I am making
it up! Just the usual - please disconnect and reboot routine. Last

Welcome to the living hell that is the BTO help desk. I escaped BTO in Jan
this year and after nearly 6 months with Zen my bitterness towards Buzby's
Babes has mellowed, so I like to think the following isn't tainted by
cynicism.

*IF* and it's a big "if" you manage to find someone in BTO who actually
knows what they're talking about without the aid of a paint-by-numbers
script then it's a sure bet you will never have another conversation with
that person again.
Their call logging system is (at their whim) very forgetful and you will
have to treat each and every call as if it's your very first time explaining
the problem, imagine trying to explain the beauty of a rainbow to a blind
person and you've got an idea how much progress you're likely to make.

The main problem with BTO (apart from the ignorance and arrogance of their
helpdesk monkeys) is that the left hand never knows what the right hand is
doing. 9 times out of 10 your problem will be someone else's department, and
no the person you're speaking to can't forward a message to them or liase
with them in any way (this is a result of BT going schizo and setting up a
"new" company for every aspect of it's business operation), nope you'll have
to dial another number (more dosh for BT) and be prepared to wait, and wait.
My personal record is just over an hour with BTO, but I don't have a
handsfree set so I'm confident others in here will be able to beat that.

Bottom line is ditch BTO at your earliest opportunity, I was a victim for
nearly two years and when it works the service is pretty good, but no better
than any other ISP and still worse than most. When their service goes
pear-shaped it does so in a major way. Stop chucking good money after bad
and get a decent ISP. If you've already got a seperate Usenet provider then
go for Zen.