Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

Old August 7th 03, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Default Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

You need 'wires only' ADSL service and then buy your own equipment.
I would say PlusNet is the best value for money ADSL ISP.
The most reliable quality adsl/router is probably Draytek Vigor, not the
cheapest though.
Or, for just two computers you could use Zoom X4 modem, which comes with one
Ethernet and one USB port
working simultaneously.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 7th 03, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hart

In message , Martin²
writes
You need 'wires only' ADSL service and then buy your own equipment.

OK

I would say PlusNet is the best value for money ADSL ISP.

I'll look them up

The most reliable quality adsl/router is probably Draytek Vigor, not the
cheapest though.
Or, for just two computers you could use Zoom X4 modem, which comes with one
Ethernet and one USB port
working simultaneously.

The Zoom X4 sounds good, one of the PCs already has an Ethernet card so
it looks the way to go, thanks.

Regards
--
Andy Hart
Old August 7th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

The Zoom X4 sounds good, one of the PCs already has an Ethernet card so
it looks the way to go, thanks.

PS Don't go for Netgear DM602, it can't run Ethernet and USB simultaneously
and it's c**p,
mine didn't work, not even the software would load or uninstall.
Regards,
martin