Ipaq with Bluetooth - via ADSL?

Old August 7th 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Gibbons

Default Ipaq with Bluetooth - via ADSL?

"Ian Gibbons" wrote in message

"guv" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:15:48 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

My setup is different - I have an 802.11b card in my iPAQ and I use

this
via
an AP both to sync with my PC and to connect to the Internet over ADSL.

As I understand it you are proposing to work through your PC which has

bluetooth adapter.

Yup. My network consists of 5 PCs. One of them has a bluetooth adapter
built in. It isnt the "primary" connection, so maybe that could make a
difference! As you say, its all about research!

I think that should be possible - one of the configuration options for
Internet connection is via your ActiveSync connection.
Having said that (and assuming it is really intended to allow you to

surf
via USB connection to your PC) I have never tried it.

To be honest, the ability to do so is not my major consideration. As
mentioned GPS would probably be that. However, I would hate to make a
purchase and say those fateful words "if only I had bought an "XYZ",
cos that can do it! I bet you know what I mean! ;-)

You are more likely to get an informed answer on NGs such as
microsoft.public.pocketpc or via websites such as

http://www.cewindows.net/.

Will take a peak, thanks.

I suspect ICS may also work.

My gut feeling is that there should be a way, but it may be a swine to

work
out.

Part of the fun and frustration;-) To be honest, even if it can be
done, its likley the connection via bluetooth is going to be so slow,
I would give up. But until I find out........

Cheers

--

Marquee Hire at cheap rates from www.37b.co.uk

From my notes on certain computer connections, the Bluetooth 2

specification
has speeds of 4, 8 or 12 MB/second, depending on distance. What the
distances are im not sure ;p

Kind Regards,
Ian

Bluetooth 1.1 has a rate of 1MB/s with a range of 10m. Bluetooth 1.2 does
2-3Mbit/s. Just to correct myself Bluetooth 2 is 4, 8, 12 Mbit/s, not MB/s.
Bah these sheets we were given are crap lol. Think they mean 1Mbit/s for the
1.1 specification.

Ian.