Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

Old August 8th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
paul blitz

Default Can I use a Router instead of a USB modem?

I got BT wires only, then went out and bought a USR 9003. Its about £110.

The 9003 includes a "proper" firewall (most "ADSL routers" only have NAT,
which means you ALSO need a software firewall on your PC's)

The 9003 has 2 ethernets and a USB: all 3 can be used at the same time, and
by default, they can all talk to each other.

In my case, I already had a hub (I used to have a dialup-router) so I only
use one of the ethernets, but we installed a 9003 for a friend, and he uses
the 2 ethernets just fine.

Also take a look at the Draytek 2600 family (again, this has a proper
firewall), and someone else here mentioned the Speedtouch 510.

Paul

"Andy Hart" wrote in message
Our local exchange is being ADSL enabled in early September and I'm
thinking of getting broadband service from FreeUK. I've recently come
back from Spain where I had an ISDN line and Nokia router supplied by
Telefonica which worked very well.

FreeUK will supply a USB modem and filter but I'd rather use a router as
I wish to connect two networked machines, I've spoken to the customer
support at FreeUK and they said I could use a router instead of the
modem but they don't supply them and can't (or won't) give me any
information on which model to get or what specs are required.

1) Can anyone comment on the quality of the FreeUK service or
suggest a better supplier.

2) What equipment do I need to set this up

3) Which router do I get

I would like to run a private FTP site, other than that I have no
special requirements.

Thanks for any help
--
Andy Hart

Old August 12th 03, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

Just to add to that, many ADSL modem/routers do not stealth their ports
either. If you are after real security you need an ADSL modem/router with a
stealth capable firewall. Otherwise get a Linux box and a bog standard PCI
modem and do the firewall/NAT routing in Linux software.

Mark.

. net...