Which one : Freedom 2, Pipex, PlusNet?

Old August 9th 03, 04:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

Default Which one : Freedom 2, Pipex, PlusNet?

"Zordiac" wrote in message
om...
Advice needed. I want to get broadband adsl.

butI am a long way from the exchange and only 512k is possible, if at
all, so I want:

1) monthly contract and no activation fee
2) p2p
3) static IP address

[Not so bothered about news groups or online gaming. ]

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/sum...?order=tco512k

shows 3 cheapest ISPs that suit my needs to be :

Freedom2Surf - but if terminate contract under 12 months a charge of
60
PlusNet - this used to receive bad press so not sure
virgin - Premium rate support at 50ppm.

Any suggestions as to which to go with or whether should consider
others and also whether I am missing any other useful requirement?

I am with Virgin.net for eight months.
Am renting, so yearly contract is simply NOT an option for me.
Love the speed, max possible at 512 kbit/sec line. I get 478/246 by
ADSLGuide.org.uk test.
Virgin.net uses NTL network infrastructure, which is quite reliable and has
good peering to other UK networks as well.

Speaking about Premium rate support, they would keep you there only if you
are the part of problem (read: a person who would put a USB device into
network socket... you get the idea.).
Otherwise they would recommend you to recall their 0845 Lo-Call support
line.
+ E-mail works.
When called there to clarify an issue with login/password not yet working
during the activation, the tech there instantly recommended me to recall at
0845 number to ADSL support group. That I did, and solved my problem at
Lo-Call rate and not 0906, mind you.
Didn't have any issues to even bother calling Tech Support since. It just
works.

Oh yeah, and I'm using a PCI ADSL modem which half users just fail to make
work. I'm quite happy with it. I even customised the Conexant drivers for
make/model/parameters.
Virgin don't force you to buy starter kit from them. Even though on their
website they would highly recommend you to buy it You are not obliged to.

UNLIKE "no frills" BT Broadband at a higher rate, you get 5 POP3 and 10 Megs
webspace available through FTP.

So for me it seems like a balance of quality/price/options.
Of course people are bandwidth hungry these days and don't consider anything
less than 2MB, but then my opinion differs and 1/2MB is enough for me.
--
Maximillian!