Which one : Freedom 2, Pipex, PlusNet?

Old August 9th 03, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zordiac

Default Which one : Freedom 2, Pipex, PlusNet?

On 8 Aug 2003 04:47:34 -0700, (Zordiac) wrote:

Advice needed. I want to get broadband adsl.

butI am a long way from the exchange and only 512k is possible, if at
all, so I want:

1) monthly contract and no activation fee
2) p2p
3) static IP address

[Not so bothered about news groups or online gaming. ]

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/sum...?order=tco512k

shows 3 cheapest ISPs that suit my needs to be :

Freedom2Surf - but if terminate contract under 12 months a charge of
60
PlusNet - this used to receive bad press so not sure
virgin - Premium rate support at 50ppm.

Any suggestions as to which to go with or whether should consider
others and also whether I am missing any other useful requirement?

Rob, Steve, Bill, Thanks for the info.

Steve, I did not list Pipex as they do not offer static ip addresses
which seems absolutely incredible to me. They seem to offer this as an
optional extra but this is only for businesses - Xtreme Business 500,
1000 and 2000 and Standard Home Office services only. Takes some
digging to find this on their website which is awful. It's a shame as
I noticed that they were awarded Best Consumer broadband ISP and offer
a modem+filters for only 17.50 inc vat.

Bill, glad to see F2S is working for you. I also do not intend to move
over the next year but if I find broadband does not work for me I want
to be able to cancel it.

Rob, some questions :

1. on adslguide.co.uk there is no activation fee for PlusNet but when
I looked at signing up (21.99 no modem package) I see a charge of
70.50! I appreciate the guide site is just that a guide site but am a
bit dissapointed. Or I have I got this wrong?

2. Regarding equipment I'm thinking of getting a wireless router with
built in modem - seems to be the hot item of the moment - but not sure
which one yet.

3. What if I place my order but my connection is poor? If I go to
http://www.bt.com/broadband/ and put in my phone number I see I get :

}Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have a
}broadband ADSL service that provides up to 512Kbps download speed,
but the
}upstream bandwidth will vary according to the length of your
telephone line.
}If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to
confirm
}if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service.

Would I be right in thinking that if the subsequent test failed then
my order would be cancelled with no penalty? And if it passed the
test, well what does that mean? The connection is good? Or could it
still be that I never see good download speeds. Also can a poor
upstream impact the downstream?
Old August 9th 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Cb wrote:
: Then that would be a stumbling block for me (and many others). I
: appeciate BT charge you - and you are running a business to make
: profit, but given the high cost, just to pull a switch, I'll probably
: stay put with BTO.
:
I've never quite understood why BT Wholesale charge so much just to plug
in a wire! NTL and Telewest have always had *free* activation.

And I can't understand why it takes so long. After being sent an email by
Plusnet to the effect that my local exchange has been enabled, a few weeks
ahead of schedule, and knowing that I am well within the 3.5km limit, I
ordered a modem/router from an online store, and the ADSL service from
Plusnet at around the same time. The box arrived in 24 hours, but after
more than a week I'm still waiting for BT to switch me on.

How is it that a physical object can be sent 50 miles in less time than it
takes to operate a switch in the same building?

Rod.

Old August 9th 03, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article , Roderick Stewart
said......

In article , Cb wrote:
[...]

Exchanges, by and large, are unmanned except for the large main ones. An
engineer visit to an exchange has to be scheduled. It's a fair guess
that the people who schedule the visits are not the same people who give
the go ahead for your line to be connected to a DSLAM.
To co-ordinate this it probably takes at least 3 inter-departmental
memos (they haven't got the hang of emails yet), countersigned by at
least one supervisor and the manager of an unrelated department
(independent witness), routed via head office to achieve this.

This is why it takes so long
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old August 9th 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"CB" wrote in message
I've never quite understood why BT Wholesale charge so much just to plug
in a wire! NTL and Telewest have always had *free* activation.

Because BT Wholesale aren't allowed to make a loss on the process...

Regards
Sunil

Old August 9th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
And I can't understand why it takes so long. After being sent an email by
Plusnet to the effect that my local exchange has been enabled, a few weeks
ahead of schedule, and knowing that I am well within the 3.5km limit, I
ordered a modem/router from an online store, and the ADSL service from
Plusnet at around the same time. The box arrived in 24 hours, but after
more than a week I'm still waiting for BT to switch me on.

Which exchange is this? - I haven't yet heard of BT enabling an exchange for
ADSL "early"...

Regards
Sunil

Old August 10th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

In article , Sunil Sood wrote:
Which exchange is this? - I haven't yet heard of BT enabling an exchange

for
ADSL "early"...

Great Crosby exchange in Liverpool. The last time I looked at the

availability
checker it said the exchange would be enabled on 29th August, but I

received
an email from Plusnet on 28th July saying they'd checked and it was

already
enabled. So I've got the box and plugged it in, and ordered the service.

all I
have to do now is wait, and one day that light on the box will stop

flashing.

Checking the "definate" public BT Wholesale Broadband checker at
http://www.bt.com/broadband/ using a number (0151924xxxx) on your exchange
still comes up with "Good news - Your exchange will have broadband ADSL by
29th August 2003"

Perhaps Plusnet meant they had checked and that since the exchange had been
issued a RFS date (on the 18th June) that meant they could now place advance
orders with BT...

As such, unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get ADSL until early
September...

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the behaviour of BT in this.

My
understanding of good business practice is that if you advertise something

you
should be able to deliver it, without obliging the customer to campaign

for it
first. But for the time being BT is the only option I've got.

If only that was the case - if it was I could have had cable 9 years ago but
I still can't get it, even though they advertise here..

As with all these services they are all "subject to availability" etc..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 10th 03, 02:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Great Crosby exchange in Liverpool.

I was surprised to find from one of the lads in work that areas around
Southport weren`t adsl enabled (nor are they likely to be from what

he`s
been told) - he`s a mile or so "south" of there.

I could be wrong as I am not from that area but I thought that Liverpool
and Southport were doing quite well in terms of ADSL coverage - this is
based information taken from http://www.liverpoolbroadband.com/ and
http://www.southport.gb.com/ainsdaleadsl/ which suggested that Ainsdale
was the only area in the Southport area without ADSL (and that exchange
reached its trigger in March 2003)

Regards
Sunil

Old August 10th 03, 03:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I was surprised to find from one of the lads in work that areas around
Southport weren`t adsl enabled (nor are they likely to be from what
he`s been told) - he`s a mile or so "south" of there.

I could be wrong as I am not from that area but I thought that Liverpool
and Southport were doing quite well in terms of ADSL coverage - this is
based information taken from http://www.liverpoolbroadband.com/ and
http://www.southport.gb.com/ainsdaleadsl/ which suggested that Ainsdale
was the only area in the Southport area without ADSL (and that exchange
reached its trigger in March 2003)

Interesting - i`ll get him to check again !

Thanks for the heads up :-)

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 10th 03, 06:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zordiac

What is going on here, seems as though postings are going to the wrong place!

The following postings seem to have nothing to do with
Subject: Which one : Freedom 2, Pipex, PlusNet?

|-7 Roderick Stewart 9 Aug 2003
Old August 10th 03, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Sunil Sood wrote:
Checking the "definate" public BT Wholesale Broadband checker at
http://www.bt.com/broadband/ using a number (0151924xxxx) on your exchange
still comes up with "Good news - Your exchange will have broadband ADSL by
29th August 2003"

Perhaps Plusnet meant they had checked and that since the exchange had been
issued a RFS date (on the 18th June) that meant they could now place advance
orders with BT...

As such, unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get ADSL until early
September...

Interesting. Here is the text of the message I received from Plusnet on 28th
July-
No more wishing you could get ADSL, we've done some
checking for
you with BT and your local exchange has been enabled!

All you need now is a really straightforward way to get
connected with
Broadband, right?

We've got that for you too! We've created a simple, all-in-one Broadband
product
which we've called Broadband EasyStart.

href="http://www.plus.net/info2/residential/res_broadband_easystart_selfinstal
l.html" target="_blank"Broadband Easystart: Save over £115! Only
£27.99 a month.

Sign up today for your hassle-free access to Broadband and save 115!
href="http://www.plus.net/info2/residential/res_broadband_easystart_selfinstal
l.html"click here

2003 PlusNet Technologies Ltd. All Rights Reserved. E&OE

So who's right? On the strength of this I've ordered the service from Plusnet
(something I'd probably have done anyway as I'm already using their dial-up
service and am reasonably happy with it). They've taken the payment for the
connection fee but say it will be refunded if I'm not able to get the service,
and they won't take payments for the actual service until it starts. The
information on the Plusnet "ADSL Tracker" page shows that they have made the
application to BT and are waiting for a reply.

Is there anybody here from Plusnet or BT who would care to comment on the
activation date? Is it 29th August, or is it available now? Which of them is
telling the truth?

Rod.