contention

Old August 10th 03, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hopey

Default contention

Hi all I recommended a neighbour to join pipex and got a free month. Great I
thought but then started thinking am I cutting my own throat by having to
share the 50 to 1 contention will this make a diff when we are both online
together.

Old August 11th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:28:13 UTC, CB wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:04:27 +0100 and in article
, Clive said...
: The 50:1 ratio doesnt apply to the 512/256Kbit connection it refers to
: the multimegabit connection from the exchange (from what I've been told,
: other could probably explain much better than I can).
:
Basically, you're not being contended 50:1 on a 512k line, but being
contended 50:1 on the 155mbit pipe at your ISP.

Few ISPs actually publish that figure.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old August 11th 03, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"chris" wrote in message

ISPs publish their backbone pipes. It is on *those* pipes that your
connection is contended, not at the local exchange (ie, one person isn't
sharing a 512k line on a ratio of 50:1 - they're sharing their ISPs
backbone pipes with everyone else on a ratio of 50:1/40:1/20:1 et al).

sort of,.. the 50:1 contention that BT quote is at your local exchange to
ATM cloud. Your ISP then contends you again when they decide how many users
it connects to its each pipe it has rented from BT. While ISPs will have no
problem telling you of the number and size of their pipes, you'll have a job
getting the numbers of subscibers connected to each one as it's entirely
their choice.

Old August 11th 03, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:08:52 UTC, chris wrote:

On 11 Aug 2003 07:40:33 GMT and in article 176uZD2KcidF-pn2-
, Bob Eager said...
: On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:28:13 UTC, CB wrote:
:
: On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:04:27 +0100 and in article
: , Clive said...
: : The 50:1 ratio doesnt apply to the 512/256Kbit connection it refers to
: : the multimegabit connection from the exchange (from what I've been told,
: : other could probably explain much better than I can).
: :
: Basically, you're not being contended 50:1 on a 512k line, but being
: contended 50:1 on the 155mbit pipe at your ISP.
:
: Few ISPs actually publish that figure.

Erm? That makes *no* sense.

ISPs publish their backbone pipes. It is on *those* pipes that your
connection is contended, not at the local exchange (ie, one person isn't
sharing a 512k line on a ratio of 50:1 - they're sharing their ISPs
backbone pipes with everyone else on a ratio of 50:1/40:1/20:1 et al).

Yes, they publish the pipe capacity. They don't publish how many
customers are using it. So they don't publish the contention figure.

And there is contention both sides of the ISP (50:1/20:1 on the user
side, unknown on the backbone side).

My point was also that CB's comment is wrong - the 50:1 part *is* from
the local exchange to the ISP; thereafter most ISPs don't tell you what
provision they have made *per customer* - i.e. the contention on their
backbone pipes.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Old August 11th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Almost.

The contention if from the DSLAM rack to the nearest major trunk node.
Within BT's core optical network, there will be much more capacity but they
certainly don't plan contention in that area. The only place they plan it is
from the end of your circuit to the next big transport node.

"Backbone pipes" is a bit more complex than you might imagine.

On 11/8/03 9:19 pm, in article
, "Bob Eager"

Old August 11th 03, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:00:20 UTC, "K" wrote:

sort of,.. the 50:1 contention that BT quote is at your local exchange to
ATM cloud. Your ISP then contends you again when they decide how many users
it connects to its each pipe it has rented from BT. While ISPs will have no
problem telling you of the number and size of their pipes, you'll have a job
getting the numbers of subscibers connected to each one as it's entirely
their choice.

A&A disclose theirs.

--
Bob Eager