Sharing broadband over an 802.11g connection?

Old August 11th 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Sharing broadband over an 802.11g connection?

I asked before, but I'm hoping the header wasn't descriptive enough for
anyone to bother looking. The alternative is that no-one has actually
done this yet, which I can't believe.

I want to be able to connect my PC downstairs to the internet without
having the PC upstairs turned on; likewise with my laptop. Question
is, how do I get this to work? Here's what I have so far:

ADSL Nation X-Modem (ethernet) upstairs
4 port mini hub (not a router)
Wireless PCI card in PC downstairs
Wireless Laptop card

After seeing tests in PC Pro magazine I'm going for Linksys kit, but
do I get the WirelessG Broadband Router or the WirelessG Access Point?
I understand there are problems using the X-Modem with Linksys
equipment, so if the X-Modem has to go, so be it.

Can someone who has successfully shared broadband over an 802.11g
network as required above let me know what equipment they used to get it
running?

Thanks,

Lee.
--
Editor, DVD Debate
http://www.dvddebate.com

Upset motorists: remember, motorways offer a hard shoulder to cry on.

Old August 11th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

I use a Netgear DG812, connected to the main computer by Ethernet 100mbps
cable, and a Netgear WG602 WAP connected to the modem/router by Ethernet
100mbps cable, then my lappy is connected with a Netgear WG511 "g" card.
The system runs well, I get between 24 & 48 Mbps on the lappy at about 50
yards away.
Only problem I have had is with the Boingo software, which likes to take
over from the Netgear software and sometimes has problems connecting.

Old August 11th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

802.11b is lot faster then ADSL connection (unless you have faster one then
2Mbs), so you don't need to
pay extra for 11g unless you planning to constantly swap large files between
your computers.
Also, arguably 11b has theoretically slightly better range, but that depends
on make and environment.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 11th 03, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:02:46 +0100, "Martin²"
wrote:

802.11b is lot faster then ADSL connection (unless you have faster one then
2Mbs), so you don't need to
pay extra for 11g unless you planning to constantly swap large files between
your computers.
Also, arguably 11b has theoretically slightly better range, but that depends
on make and environment.

That's fine for the broadband connection, but what about when I want
to stream audio/video files from the machine upstairs?

Lee.
--
Editor, DVD Debate
http://www.dvddebate.com

Is the owner of Hotpoint a Fridge Magnate?
Old August 12th 03, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tfp ntl

I got the Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router and a Linksys Wireless G PCI
card, the router serves my main PC downstairs (XP Pro) over an straight
Ethernet connection from the router and a wireless connection to the second
PC (Win ME) in a bedroom, set up almost super easy and I am no network whiz,
bit of farting around to get the Internet sharing working on the second PC,
but no huge sweat and it's been working no problems since April. Speeds
excellent, using a broadband speed tester I get about a 10% fall off on the
remote pc (ntl cable 1mb service), I think that is as much where the PC is
located in the room that causes that.

I have wondered if the access point might have been better for the remote
PC, that way I could have positioned it in the room for optimum reception
and just ran an Ethernet cable to the PC, with the PCI card you don't
obviously have that flexibility.

g'luck.. Tim