So what exactly do I do to install BT broadband?

Old August 11th 03, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default So what exactly do I do to install BT broadband?

It's coming next week. I order the self-install kit and I was wondering what
it is I actually have to do to get it up-and-running?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old August 11th 03, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

It's coming next week. I order the self-install kit and I was wondering what
it is I actually have to do to get it up-and-running?

Usually install the modem drivers BEFORE you plug the modem in, and you
plug the end of the modem lead into a filter. The modem itself doesn`t
need a filter, but they`re often a funny-shaped plug and the filter has
the socket for it.

Any phones need to be plugged into a filter, or you can get the adsl link
disconnecting.

Depending on the type of modem they provide, you may find odd problems
with the modem not responding or disappearing once it disconnects until
you reboot. Welcome to the joys of USB modems :-p

They will probably provide "dial-up" software pre-configured, and all
you`ll need to do is provide the username and password.

You can also tell IE to connect via the network, and not to dial a
connection.

** GET A FIREWALL AND MAKE SURE YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS UPDATED REGULARLY **

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 11th 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Chris -- Kill file

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:54:16 +0100 and in article bh8l89$st3$1
@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk, Bobby said...
: It's coming next week. I order the self-install kit and I was wondering

what
: it is I actually have to do to get it up-and-running?
:
Sell your soul to the devil

But seriously, this is an easy question - search google groups where
this answer has been covered many times previously, as will have been
all your future questions probably.
--
chris

Old August 11th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:09:04 +0100, chris wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:05:40 +0100 and in article bh8sum$jiq$1
, Bobby said...
: Chris -- Kill file

Top poster. ******.

Agreed, Bobby is going in my killfile now.

Andrew.
Old August 11th 03, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:05:40 +0100 and in article bh8sum$jiq$1
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk, Bobby said...
Chris -- Kill file

Top poster. ******.

I gave you your answer. Search google groups, if you weren't such a
mammoth ****wit you would realise your question(s) have been

answered
hundreds of times before in great detail.

It's even worse than than that as it will be all in the documentation
which he will have already received (especially as he's already got
his kit)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 11th 03, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

[email protected] writeme.com wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:09:04 +0100, chris wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:05:40 +0100 and in article bh8sum$jiq$1
, Bobby said...
: Chris -- Kill file

Top poster. ******.

Agreed, Bobby is going in my killfile now.

Andrew.

You don't even need to goto goggle for help, when I was
getting ADSL, Tiscali mailed me full instructions and they
also had information on their website. Sounds like bobby
couldn't be bothered to look for information, what a prick!

bobby, don't bother posting again, we don't want you here.
and you are killfiled.

Old August 12th 03, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clunk

Bobby wrote:

It's coming next week. I order the self-install kit and I was wondering what
it is I actually have to do to get it up-and-running?

Cheers.

Bobby

Easiest thing to do is read the instructions that will be in the installation
pack.

Old August 12th 03, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

** GET A FIREWALL AND MAKE SURE YOUR ANTIVIRUS IS UPDATED
REGULARLY
** Assuming he uses windows ?

Most linux users know what they`re getting themselves into before

they
pay out ;-)

Are you sure, it may have been so in the past but more & more
wannabe's are using Linux just because their friends/work
colleagues/put your own label here, have toild them it's the thing to
do.

Personally I've nothing against Linux, just don't have the time to
tweak it continually...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....