Firewall - question....

Old August 11th 03, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Firewall - question....

Craig Henry wrote:

I now have a nice adsl connection with plusnet. I have a zoom x4 with nat
firewall.

My question is do I need an extra firewall. I have tried using norton
internet security though it made my connection unusable. Any thoughts about
what I could use instead that is reasnoable, ie moving towards super power
user on xp not bog standard zone alarm.

thanks

Craig Henry

Frankly, NAT by itself is IMHO 99% of what you need in a firewall. That
plus virus scaning on the PC's will make you more secure than 50% of the
Internet is.

Its too easy to get carried away into spending huge amnounts of time and
money guarding against things that will never hgappen.

Unless you feel that someone out there hates you enough to really have a
go at you specifically, sleep easy with what you have.