plus.net new subscription questions

Old August 12th 03, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

Default plus.net new subscription questions

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
I am thinking about getting an £18.99/month ADSL Home Surf account from
Plus.net but can someone clarify the following:

* With this option P2P is disabled. Does this affect direct-connection
applications such as Microsoft NetMeeting, Messenger, ICQ, etc? i.e.
would internet telephony & direct file transfer work with these
applications?

These should not be effected.

* many ISPs allow downloading an individual user's and all users' mail
depending on the user ID used to logon to the mailserver every time. With
Plus.net downloading individual user's mail involves creating separate
mailboxes on the mailserver. Does this mean that if you wish to download
mail for [email protected] separately sometimes, you have no choice but to download
mail for that user separately every time?

It depends how you have it set up in outlook, asumming you are using
outlook. Plusnet's mailboxes each look like seperate POP3 accounts to
Outlook. You can create autoforwarders too.

To do what you want you just need to set up Outlook to collect mail from all
your mailboxes "at home" and just collect from one mailbox on your phone. On
"other PCs" you can check mail using their Webmail front-end. IT works well
in my experience.

* can I move between ADSL Home Surf and the enhanced ADSL Home
Self-Install freely, or do I have to wait for the 12 months minimum
contract period to expire first? (and then another 12 months if I choose
to move back?)

They told me I could do this anytime, but in the end I went for the £21.99
package anyhow, becuase of the 200Mb extra web space mostly, as I'm not a
large P2Per.

* finally, Plus.net strongly recommend that I get the line activated
first before I purchase any equipment, which complicates things a bit
since I am planning to buy a router on ebay. Is there a way to know the
test results before I actually get the service going?

There is no way to know in advance, but this is SOUND advice. Typically,
assuming your exchange is already activated you should know your test
results about 4 working days after you apply (from several experiences
applying) Buy the kit when you know the test result is a pass.

Jc plusnet customer
..