Newbie confused by firewalls

Old August 12th 03, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edwards

Default Newbie confused by firewalls

How do I protect myself now that I am online 24 hrs per day.

I have a basic adsl modem, with currently no protection. I am running
Windows 98 Second edition.

What are my options. I am running Norton's antivirus 2003 does this mean
that I should be using Norton Firewall?

Zone Alarm has been recommended. Anybody any comments?

Is there really a threat from hackers or is it overhyped?

Is there some form of tutorial on the web which a non techy could
understand? Has any magazine/company analyzed the various options available?

Should I change to a router with a hardware firewall?

Should I upgrade to Windows XP which I understand has a built in firewall?

Grateful for any advice.

Old August 12th 03, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:44:28 +0000 (UTC), "John Edwards"
wrote:

How do I protect myself now that I am online 24 hrs per day.

Read groups.google.com for answers to this and all your future FAQ's.

Andrew.
Old August 12th 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

snip
Simplest and quickest way to provide reasonable protection is to use a
personal firewall on each PC, such as ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com).

However
the newer versions of this software in my experience are a little

unstable,
I'd download the 2.1.44 version from www.oldversion.com as this seems rock
solid on my Win98SE machine.

If you're looking for some tutorials or gain a little more understanding

try
www.grc.com

Using a router with built in firewall is OK, but my personal preference is
to use a Linux firewall with NAT software, you'll have much more control
over exactly what goes in and comes out. For that you'll probably need an
ethernet ADSL modem (I'm unsure whether a Linux machine can use USB

modems,
maybe others can comment on this).

Mark.

Or of course a PCI ADSL modem!

Mark.

Old August 12th 03, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edgecrusher

"John Edwards" wrote in message ...
Zone Alarm has been recommended. Anybody any comments?

I never liked it, always crashing and produced terrible warp with games.

Is there really a threat from hackers

Yes

or is it overhyped?

No.

Should I upgrade to Windows XP which I understand has a built in firewall?

The windows firewall is useless, it doesnt stop any info from going out, including all the times your machine reports back to M$.

--

Steve

"They say a glass of wine makes you live longer but there's a drawback with that, the French drink it""

Guvnor.

Old August 12th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

"John Edwards" wrote in message

Zone Alarm has been recommended. Anybody any comments?

I never liked it, always crashing and produced terrible warp with games.

The later versions of the software ( 2.1 ) seem to have been re-written
with a new user interface, and subsequently took a huge backwards step in
stability. The older version 2.1.44 version seems stable, at least on my
Win98SE and also a friend's win2k machine.

Mark.

Old August 12th 03, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , markp
writes

Using a router with built in firewall is OK, but my personal preference is
to use a Linux firewall with NAT software, you'll have much more control
over exactly what goes in and comes out. For that you'll probably need an
ethernet ADSL modem (I'm unsure whether a Linux machine can use USB modems,
maybe others can comment on this).

Mark.

Both Smoothwall 1.0 (kernel 2.2.25) & Ipcop 1.3 (kernel 2.4.20) have
recent patches to work with the alcatel 330, so I guess the answer's yes
(but I won't know personally until adsl comes to darkest Thornbury
(BS35) on 3/9)
Bob

--
robert w hall
Old August 12th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Zone Alarm has been recommended. Anybody any comments?
I never liked it, always crashing and produced terrible warp with games.

It`s never caused *me* any problems (v2.6.82) and I tend to spend upwards
of 20 hours a week playing Half-Life online.

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 12th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clunk

markp wrote:

"John Edwards" wrote in message

Zone Alarm has been recommended. Anybody any comments?

I never liked it, always crashing and produced terrible warp with games.

The later versions of the software ( 2.1 ) seem to have been re-written
with a new user interface, and subsequently took a huge backwards step in
stability. The older version 2.1.44 version seems stable, at least on my
Win98SE and also a friend's win2k machine.

Mark.

I've got Zonealarm (free version) running on Win98se and have very few
problems with it now.
Online gaming is unaffected by it once the ports are set (on my machine)
Ive got a router with nat running too, I even thought about an Ipcop or
smoothwall machine too, I may build one soon to try it out.