Funding a rack in the local exchange...

Old August 12th 03, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

Default Funding a rack in the local exchange...

Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local exchange
has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are beyond line of
sight.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

Anyone out there recognise this ?

jd
--
John Daragon argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK
Old August 12th 03, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

John Daragon wrote:
Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local exchange
has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are beyond line of
sight.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

Anyone out there recognise this ?

I was looking through the BT price list a few days ago, and the figure of
45000 pounds comes to mind.

It's in the "broadband" section, but I don't recall where.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Windows 2000, software for next millenia. latin pun alert - Ian Stirling.
Old August 12th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
elyob

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
John Daragon wrote:
Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local

exchange
has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are beyond line

of
sight.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few

ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

Anyone out there recognise this ?

I was looking through the BT price list a few days ago, and the figure of
45000 pounds comes to mind.

It's in the "broadband" section, but I don't recall where.

Why not consider sharing a leased line ... e.g.
http://www.newswireless.net/articles/030120-locust.html

Old August 13th 03, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

John Daragon wrote:
Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The
local exchange has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses

out
here are beyond line

of
sight.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up

few ens of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit
anyway. But I can't find a reference to the scheme.

Anyone out there recognise this ?

I was looking through the BT price list a few days ago, and the
figure of 45000 pounds comes to mind.

It's in the "broadband" section, but I don't recall where.

Why not consider sharing a leased line ... e.g.
http://www.newswireless.net/articles/030120-locust.html

We're surrounded by woodland and hills. Line of sight is a *big*
issue out here.

jd

Bear with as I'm a little confused (easily done I know) _BUT_ DSL is
not restricted to line of sight, so what is the problem??

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 13th 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Reeves

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:50:07 +0100, John Daragon
wrote:

Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local exchange
has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are beyond line of
sight.

So you have considered sharing a leased line via wireless? Wireless,
with the right aerial etc. can do 600m radius, it seems, perhaps more.
But you need line of sight. Point to point can go further. Leased
line with 28 would be about 50pm or less if you opt for a smaller
leased line.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

It's called Exchange Activate AFAIR, and it is 45k+VAT for the 1st 30
users, 30k+VAT for subsequent blocks of 30. This gets you 3 year line
rental too. However, the scheme is aimed at ISP since it is just the
line, no email boxes, no newgroups, no internet connection (AFAIK),
just BT's line rental.

Shared leased lines work out cheaper (why is that not a surprise :-/).

--

....malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
Old August 13th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

John Daragon wrote:
[...]

Because the previous writer was suggesting a single leased line shared over
802.11b (microwave) radio. Which doesn't go around corners.

jd
Old August 13th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Daragon

wrote:

Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local
exchange has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are
beyond line of sight.

So you have considered sharing a leased line via wireless? Wireless,
with the right aerial etc. can do 600m radius, it seems, perhaps more.
But you need line of sight. Point to point can go further. Leased
line with 28 would be about 50pm or less if you opt for a smaller
leased line.

Line of sight is difficult over this terrain, as is population density.
Think hills and trees and sheep. People ? We ain't got no steenking
people... We'd have to build a net of directional antennae even if we
*could* see each other. Which we can't.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

It's called Exchange Activate AFAIR, and it is 45k+VAT for the 1st 30
users, 30k+VAT for subsequent blocks of 30. This gets you 3 year line
rental too. However, the scheme is aimed at ISP since it is just the
line, no email boxes, no newgroups, no internet connection (AFAIK),
just BT's line rental.

Shared leased lines work out cheaper (why is that not a surprise :-/).

Yep. I know. But you have to remember that we're the last guys on this
particular hill with mains water. The guy two houses up doesn't even have
mains electricity. But we both have 'phone lines. Hey, I'm even close
enough to the switch to get ISDN !

jd
Old August 13th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John Daragon wrote:

Well, we've got a date for broadband... and it's *never*. The local exchange
has 28 preregistrations, and most of the houses out here are beyond line of
sight.

I seem to remember there being a scheme where you could stump up a few ens
of thousands up front and get BT to install the kit anyway. But I can't
find a reference to the scheme.

Anyone out there recognise this ?

Much better to get in touch with a WiFi company - there is a scheme up
in Cornwall already.

Contact and see whether they can do it.

25 users IF you were prepared to pay maybe 35 squids a month would get
you 2Mbps symmetric contended er - 25:1?

:-)

jd

Old August 13th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John Daragon wrote:

[...]

Mmm. But can you all see EACH OTHER. If so its doable. Bring a
megastream into the village and then use a wifi broadcast.

Any hard-to-reach places if there are 5-10 houses there can use BT
copper to link to the main hub - XDSL will net you 1-2Mbps over that -
and another broadcast node takes care of the houses.

Its not cheap, but cheaper than paying BT prces and getting shoddy ADSL
service.

At your density, WiFi will be MUCH faster.

jd