No persistent connection with ZEN ADSL?

Old August 12th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
edgeBall

Default No persistent connection with ZEN ADSL?

I have ZEN ADSL with 5 static IP addresses where I have 3 machines
host webserver/FTP server/ Mail server.
But from outside nobody can access my server unless I sit at home and
keep browsing the Internet to make sure the line is alive!!

To prove this, I did a test with my family, I tried to access my home
machine romotely(at work) by ping/remote login/browse my website..
Once they stopped internet activities, in about 5 minutes time, I
couldn't access my router/all machines anymore.
This is so annoying and I am not sure if this is general ADSL problem
or a specific problem with my line only.
Can anyone help?
Cheers,
EdgeBall
Old August 12th 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Seamus

I have a zen ADSL line at home and work and can access machines at both
locations from the other so Its not a zen problem, I think as edgeBall says
it could be your router, look at its uptime how long has it been up mine's
been up 125hours (thats only because I pulled the wrong plug by mistake)
Seamus

Old August 13th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
edgeBall

Thanks.
I figured it out by reading the manual.
basically, the defult timeout for my router(5861) is 60 seconds, which
mean if my network has been idle for 60 seconds, the router drops the
connection.
By doing "romote setTimer 23453254324656" , router will drop your
connection after being idle for 2345325424656 seconds.
To check the new settings, do "remote list".
The menual also says "remote setminline 1 internet" will keep the
connection permenently, I did it, but don't know where to check the
new settings.
EdgeBall