what adsl modem should I buy for BT openworld?

Old August 12th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default what adsl modem should I buy for BT openworld?

Hi

I would like to buy an ASDL modem with an ethernet interface to plug into my
firewall pc. The firewall PC handles the DNS, NAT etc. Would you please let
me know which one you would recommend and why

Many thanks

Steve

Old August 12th 03, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

I would like to buy an ASDL modem with an ethernet interface to plug into

my
firewall pc. The firewall PC handles the DNS, NAT etc. Would you please

let
me know which one you would recommend and why

Many thanks

Steve

On a whim I bought an eTEC 1 port ethernet ADSL modem/NAT router from
Maplin, which is probably one of the cheapest around. This does not contain
a firewall but does contain things like ftp and http ports accessible from
both the LAN and the WAN side, only some of which can be disabled. It also
does *not* stealth any of the other ports either. I had hoped at some stage
in the future to do what you are doing and stick a Linux firewall in-between
the modem and the local network, and I wanted to stealth all ports from the
WAN side but cannot do so with this modem. My recommendation is either use a
PCI ADSL modem and get your PC to stealth ports, or get an plain ADSL
ethernet modem with or without a router that stealths its WAN ports
properly.

Mark.

Old August 13th 03, 04:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"markp" wrote in message
[...]

I know somewhere where it's much cheaper, not much tho in the scheme of
things, if you can return it to maplins I cud giv u the link.... Maplins
prices appall me :-)

Old August 13th 03, 04:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

I would like to buy an ASDL modem with an ethernet interface to plug into

my
firewall pc. The firewall PC handles the DNS, NAT etc. Would you please

let
me know which one you would recommend and why

Ebuyer have a cheap 1 port ADSL router but I wouldn't be aware of it's
reliability etc. It's based on a connexant chipset so that would give me
some hope...

Old August 13th 03, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

"Steve" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback however the firewall software requires and

Ethernet
port not an internal PCI card that supports ADSL. I was also think of
companies like netgear d-link etc if any other brand is better with BT
openworld.

Thanks for the feed back and any more would be great

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

I would like to buy an ASDL modem with an ethernet interface to plug

into
my
firewall pc. The firewall PC handles the DNS, NAT etc. Would you please

let
me know which one you would recommend and why

Many thanks

Steve

Are you sure you can't get a single PCI card that looks like a NIC to the
software but actually contains both a NIC and and ADSL modem? Seems to me
that would be a nice thing to have as it then becomes compatible with ip
routing software and would save a PCI slot and cabling. Just a thought.

Mark.