Questions

Old August 12th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

Default Questions

Hi all,

I have been monitoring my Zone Alarm Log just to see how things are going
with the wee beastie*(W32.Blaster.Worm) that is flying around, the articles
that I have read, have all mentioned a port 135 vulnerability....

I have checked my machine for msblast files and run the fix from:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
None found.

My windows has all patches applied and my virus scanner is up to date with
today's latest patch. No viruses present.

My ZA log is showing that port 135 is being blocked/attacked almost 2-3
times a minute.....and has been for the past 24 hours or so....in the last
20 minutes I have had 32 blocks

Any way..... I thought I would try a reboot and see if that calms things
down...

2 Questions

1. Why is port 135 taking such a hammering
2. My IP address has remained the same after a reboot and reconnect to my BT
BB service. I thought you were assigned a new/different IP address every
time we connect.

--
Mcploppy ©

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me}
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ Download Messenger 6 http://tinyurl.com/h7co }

Old August 12th 03, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

[...]

AFAIR servers tend to match the MAC of the connector to an IP for the
rest of the lease period after you disconnect, so the best way would
be to leave your systme off air until well after the IP lease has run
out (& even then you still have a chance that you will get your old IP
back).

As for the probing, your firewall is stopping it so don't worry

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 12th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

Kraftee bashed at the keyboard and said :

snip
AFAIR servers tend to match the MAC of the connector to an IP for the
rest of the lease period after you disconnect, so the best way would
be to leave your systme off air until well after the IP lease has run
out (& even then you still have a chance that you will get your old IP
back).

IP lease has run out ? When is that?

As for the probing, your firewall is stopping it so don't worry

I know that the firewall is doing it's job..... but it bugs me knowing that
I am being probed so much

Cheers

Old August 12th 03, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:27:02 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
wrote:

I have been monitoring my Zone Alarm Log just to see how things are going
with the wee beastie*(W32.Blaster.Worm) that is flying around, the articles
that I have read, have all mentioned a port 135 vulnerability....

If you are concerned with the security of your PC, why on earth do you
use Outlook Express?

Andrew.
Old August 12th 03, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

Iain A F Fleming bashed at the keyboard and said :

The entity currently known as Mcploppy © wrote:

IP lease has run out ? When is that?

When you get a DHCP address handed to you, you also get given a time
period for which it is valid (normally 1 day). After that, you must
request it again. At this point, you may be given different one, but
in fact, you more often than not get the same one again.

Thanks for that

I know that the firewall is doing it's job..... but it bugs me
knowing that I am being probed so much

It happens: I'm logging *hundreds* of scans on ports 35 and 137, every
day.

I just felt it was a bit suspicious in the current climate....

Old August 12th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:02:48 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
wrote:

Is OE likely to give me a problem with regards to security ?

As the vast majority of viruses are written directly for the planet
sized holes in OE then it is a major liability. Plus it is a crap
newsreader anyway.

Andrew.
Old August 12th 03, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

"Iain A F Fleming" wrote in message
The entity currently known as Mcploppy © wrote:

It happens: I'm logging *hundreds* of scans on ports 135 and 137,
every day.

I just felt it was a bit suspicious in the current climate....

It is; but if you have a firewall,and those ports aren't open, then
you're OK. You canlt make the probes go away, but you can ignore
them. The scanners scan entire address ranges - they're not picking on
you.

Cheers

Old August 12th 03, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

wrote:

Is OE likely to give me a problem with regards to security ?

As the vast majority of viruses are written directly for the planet
sized holes in OE then it is a major liability. Plus it is a crap
newsreader anyway.

Andrew.

Can you point me in the right direction to find out more about these "planet
sized holes" I'm interested to find out more....

As far as OE being cr*p, it does everything I need it to do ....I can view
posts and replies, and I can post and reply.... that's all I need. :-)

Old August 12th 03, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:21:37 +0100, "Mcploppy ©"
wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction to find out more about these "planet
sized holes" I'm interested to find out more....

Have a search on the net for "Melissa Virus" then move on to any other
virus you find along the way.

Andrew.
Old August 12th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction to find out more about these
"planet sized holes" I'm interested to find out more....

Have a search on the net for "Melissa Virus" then move on to any other
virus you find along the way.

Andrew.

I have never picked up a virus in OE yet.... I always have a virus scanner
running and never open an attachment without knowing who it is from etc...
How could I get a virus.....