Line drop out

Old August 11th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Steele

Default Line drop out

"Chris Bond" wrote in message
During the day (upto 10pm ish) I have a perfectly good adsl conection,

good
download speeds good ping times on games etc.

After this time the connection drops and doesn't come back until morning.

I'm using a Dlink 504 router through ISP Tiscali can anyone shed any light
on this slightly anoying problem?

Thanks

Chris

I had a problem which persisted for a long time. I would lose connection
from about 0015 (just after midnight) until 0515 every single night. No I
did not see this personally every night. My router Solwise SAR110 is helpful
in that it keeps a 24 hour history in 15 minute samples. I discovered this
when I lost my ADSL erratically from about 6pm for 3-4 hours but every three
or four days and while I was trying to determine what was wrong.

The only way in which the problem can be investigated is to go via your ISP.
I am with Plusnet and they asked me to eliminate all possible causes within
the house wiring. There is a reason in that if BT come out and the fault is
in your own wiring you may be charged. I was asked to try swapping ADSL
filters. I was able to disconnect all the phone wiring leaving only the
master socket. I was asked to try a modem cable directly into the master
socket (no filters, no telephones) etc. When the fault persisted then I was
asked to have the line checked by 150. a minor fault was found but my ADSL
kept failing.

The fault was escalated to BT who initially failed to keep the appointment
but when they came they said they were performing a lift and shift operation
(whatever that is). the telephone line was down completely for 2 hours. The
fault however persisted and was escalated again to BT. By then I had worked
out how to use a telnet session to capture the daily history to a text file
and from that to use Excel to plot a graph of the errors against time. The
Second engineer looked at the graph and escalated the fault to a special
fault investigation team. Magically later that day the fault went away but
BT have declined to tell me what was done to fix it other than a lift and
shift operation had been performed. They told me that this was done the
first time!

Since then I have been fault free (well about 6 errors maximum in a 15
minute interval which I can live with - better than 900 in a 15 minute
interval which is total failure).

I don't believe that my fault would have been escalated and then fixed
without my gathering the statistics. This took some effort. Is there any way
in which your router can gather historic reports. I know the one BT use for
site visits (a USB modem) is very limited in this respect. One thing I have
noticed is that my line attenuation has increased significantly. I was
varying between 38 and 48 dB it is now 54 dB (apart from this week when it
is now 57.5 dB) since the fault was repaired.

Good luck and be persistent

John Steele