Contention & how can I be sure I'm afflicted

Old August 12th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

Default Contention & how can I be sure I'm afflicted

I've had a ClaraNet ADSL 512K connection for a couple of years. It's been
very stable and performance has always been good. Suddenly it's all gone
wrong. For the last two days, performance has been crap: very often the
browser will time out on DNS lookup. It will right itself for a few minutes
then it's crap again. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the
problems such as happening at a certain time of day. I contacted support
and they said 'we can't see any problems' which made me think this might be
contention. Is there any way I could be sure? If it is contention, I guess
it's not going to get any better. So I might as well scrap the line and go
back to dialup. It would be faster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HtH

Old August 12th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MuDsHaRk

: I've had a ClaraNet ADSL 512K connection for a couple of years.
It's been
: very stable and performance has always been good. Suddenly

it's all gone
: wrong. For the last two days, performance has been crap: very

often the
: browser will time out on DNS lookup
:
I swapped to Clara's DNS server yesterday. *awful* performance.

Many
domain names wouldn't resolve. Utterly useless. Use someone

elses DNS
servers.

Or run your own

there's a good, easy (as in next to nothing) to configure one he

www.ntcanuck.com called Bind PE

Old August 12th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Go straight to adslguide.org.uk and do the performance test there and then.

If its a bad connection, or contentions problems, it'll show up straight
away and what's better, it'll get logged against Clara Net monthly
performance - and they may even do something about it as a result.

On 12/8/03 5:44 pm, in article ,
"Harry the Horse" wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HtH

Old August 12th 03, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
Go straight to adslguide.org.uk and do the performance test there and

then.

If its a bad connection, or contentions problems, it'll show up straight
away and what's better, it'll get logged against Clara Net monthly
performance - and they may even do something about it as a result.

Thanks for the tip. I think though it may be a DNS issue 'cos I've changed
DNS server and things seem to have got a lot better.

Cheers!

Old August 13th 03, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Harry the Horse wrote:

I've had a ClaraNet ADSL 512K connection for a couple of years. It's been
very stable and performance has always been good. Suddenly it's all gone
wrong. For the last two days, performance has been crap: very often the
browser will time out on DNS lookup. It will right itself for a few minutes
then it's crap again. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the
problems such as happening at a certain time of day. I contacted support
and they said 'we can't see any problems' which made me think this might be
contention. Is there any way I could be sure? If it is contention, I guess
it's not going to get any better. So I might as well scrap the line and go
back to dialup. It would be faster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

HtH

Not contention - more like some nasty router issues or even DHCP problems.