Advice on Broadband provider

Old August 12th 03, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angela Knight

Default Advice on Broadband provider

Hi

My exchange has finally hit the threshold for them to do the tests for
Broadband. I know it will still be a few months before we get it but I
thought I would start looking into service providers. My ISP at the moment
is BTOpenworld, but I have heard that the Broadband service is not so hot.

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations from those of you that
have first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Angela

Old August 12th 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:09:52 +0000 (UTC), "David Stimpson"
wrote:

I have BTOpenworld broadband and have found it to be fast and reliable. It
has been a really good service IMO.

You haven't had the displeasure of talking to their "tech support" yet
then?

Andrew.
Old August 12th 03, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

David Stimpson wrote:
Hi Angela

I have BTOpenworld broadband and have found it to be fast and reliable. It
has been a really good service IMO.

Dave

"Angela Knight" wrote in message

Hi

My exchange has finally hit the threshold for them to do the tests for
Broadband. I know it will still be a few months before we get it but I
thought I would start looking into service providers. My ISP at the

moment

is BTOpenworld, but I have heard that the Broadband service is not so hot.

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations from those of you that
have first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Angela

have you had it longer than a week

Old August 13th 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Allaway

Angela,

I have been with Freedom 2 surf for a year now and am very pleased
with the service too. The link speed is fine and I have not suffered
from any F2S related connection problems.

As long as you realise that their support is office hours only (you
won't need it!) then I recommend them totally.

Cheers
Paul

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:32:34 +0000 (UTC), "Angela Knight"
wrote:

"chris" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:42:22 +0000 (UTC) and in article bhbmvt$gqo$1
@titan.btinternet.com, Angela Knight said...

:
: I would appreciate any advice and recommendations from those of you that
: have first hand experience.
:
Nildram, Zen, plus.net, Eclipse, Freedom2surf all offer very good,
reliable service.

--
chris

Thanks for those Chris. I had looked at Freedom2surf before and liked it
purely because of the amount of very simple info it gave which is pretty
important to someone like me who is not a computer expert!! The other I
have noticed is the price difference between some of these providers and
BTopenworld. BTO have been pretty sporadic in their quality of service as
an isp, so I think it is time for a change, and you can't beat honest advice
from other users!

Angela

Old August 13th 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

I have BTOpenworld broadband and have found it to be fast and
reliable. It has been a really good service IMO.

You haven't had the displeasure of talking to their "tech support"
yet then?

What tech suppport? *grin*

You mean it's worse than NTL's 24hour service line, it's closed
between 20:00 & 08:00, believe it or believe it not...
--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 13th 03, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:18:29 +0100, chris wrote:

Static IP as well, which for most on this ng is a must.

Why on earth is that a must for most people in this newsgroup?

Andrew.
Old August 13th 03, 07:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Cherry

[email protected] writeme.com wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:18:29 +0100, chris wrote:

Static IP as well, which for most on this ng is a must.

Why on earth is that a must for most people in this newsgroup?

SMTP server, VPN, Web Server, Game Server etc

Old August 13th 03, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:52:19 +0100, "David Cherry"
wrote:

SMTP server, VPN, Web Server, Game Server etc

I know what static IP is useful for, I have one myself, but I would
doubt the majorty of people in this group are hosting servers.

Andrew.
Old August 13th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Take a look at www.adslguide.org

http://www.adslguide.org.uk is the top non-sponsored link you if you type
"adsl" into http://google.co.uk and click "pages from the UK".

Check out the monthly top 10 ISPs
Use the "compare ISP" facility
Read the message boards

Then you'll stand a better chance of making a good choice - supplier and
hardware - and a smooth easy install.

I started visiting a few months before my exchange was activated, I was up
and running 5 days before my BT activation date

--
Paul (Eclipse Internet)

Old August 13th 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:49:52 +0100, chris wrote:

I think at any time or another the majority of people in this ng will
want to host some form of server - even if it is only short term. Web
server, VNC etc.

But you can host a short term server adequately for most uses on a
dynamic IP.

Andrew.