Netgear DG814 crashes with P2P, Shareaza, e-Donkey, Gnutella etc.

Old August 13th 03, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Seth Johnson

Default Netgear DG814 crashes with P2P, Shareaza, e-Donkey, Gnutella etc.

Hi there,

I have a netgear dg814 router and it seems to crash when using any P2P
software over a long period. I used to use Bearshare and it worked
fine so long as I kept the bandwidth low. I've been trying to use
Shareaza but changing the max connections options or max bandwidth
seems to have little effect.

From what I understand, it seems to be to do with the maximum number
of UDP connections that the router can handle before it conks out.
Before the router itself crashes, I am unable to browse any webpages
and no other net software will work.

I've upgraded the firmware to 4.8 but it hasn't solved the problem.
I've found a lot of different boards and postings mentioning this
problem but no solutions. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
~S
Old August 13th 03, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Lambert

eDonkey does kill the DG814, use eMule instead. It is a better client over
the same network, but will not kill the router.

"Seth Johnson" wrote in message
m...
Hi there,

I have a netgear dg814 router and it seems to crash when using any P2P
software over a long period. I used to use Bearshare and it worked
fine so long as I kept the bandwidth low. I've been trying to use
Shareaza but changing the max connections options or max bandwidth
seems to have little effect.

From what I understand, it seems to be to do with the maximum number

Old August 13th 03, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Seth Johnson

"Darren Lambert" wrote in message ...
eDonkey does kill the DG814, use eMule instead. It is a better client over
the same network, but will not kill the router.

Thanks guys, I may go back to using Bearshare to access the Gnutella
network and start using eMule for the eDonkey network. Still, I was
hoping to have a client for the G2 network - am in the process of
trying out Adagio (http://www.gnutella2.com/tiki-page.p...ame=Downloads).

Still, what I'd like to understand is why this problem arises with
this particular router and why the firmware updates can't fix it.
Other routers seem to handle this kind of thing fine. I'm thinking
that if it is to do with the number of UDP connections then the router
must be trying to store information on each UDP connection and running
out of memory which causes the crash. Therefore other brands either
don't store any information on UDP connections (is that possible?
secure?) OR have a lot more memory (so this is a shoddy router).

If it was to do with storing information on UDP connections then there
should be an option where you can turn it off. I can't imagine this
router has less 'on board memory' than it's competiters since they
seem pretty similar in every other respect.

If anyone was in contact with Netgear, did they explain why P2P apps
kill the router and if it was to do with UDP, then why are we limited
to a certain number of UDP connections when similarly priced routers
are not?

I get a feeling in my gut that some of the limitations on max UDP
connections are down to the NAT processing in the router, although I
can't explain why, that might just be my breakfast talking.

Anyway, any additional insight would be helpful.

Cheers!
~S
Old September 3rd 03, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Wall

I'm getting this problem with many of the online games I play. Have
you tried setting your router so your machine is in the DMZ,
effectivly bypassing the NAT? I'd try this myself but every time I
kill the router my wife screams at me for breaking her connection