Port forwarding questions.

Old August 13th 03, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

Default Port forwarding questions.

Goofball said:

I understand the basics of port forwarding when using an ADSL router but
can someone please answer some of these questions:

1. Do you need a software firewall if you do no explicitly forward any
ports on your router?

In my experience, no. The router will either stealthily ignore incoming
traffic or report back the the port is "closed". It goes no further.

2. How do you figure out what ports are required to be forwarded for
online games, "Medal of Honour" for example?

One way is to go to www.google.com and search for the name of the game. :-)

For instance, I just Googled for:

"Medal of Honor" ports

Within 30seconds I had found out that Medal of Honor apparently uses port
12203.

Popular games usually have this information documented in the instruction
manual or let you configure it in-game so you can easily find out what they
use.

3. Does the built-in windows xp firewall block all port forwarding setup
on your router?

Sorry, no idea, I don't use XP. A friend had difficulty playing games on his
LAN and it was tracked down to the XP firewall blocking stuff, so it *might*
upset the applecart.

Rgds,

Stephen.