Joining Plusnet Questions!!

Old August 13th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steven

Default Joining Plusnet Questions!!

How do people find them??

Do they have good access to newsgroups i.e. binaries

Speed???

Will be upgrading to 1mb as soon as migration is complete.

Old August 13th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

Do they have good access to newsgroups i.e. binaries

dont use them much only for service annoucements not downloading, but lots
of ppl complaining about the binaries.

Speed???

above avg for a 256/512 connection.

Will be upgrading to 1mb as soon as migration is complete.

hope your line passes, requires a low dB reading, under 40

One thing they are bad for is accounting/billing, they have been since I've
used them but for me its better the devil you know

Old August 13th 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

steven wrote:

How do people find them??

Go to www.google.com and search for "plusnet technologies"?

A map of Sheffield may be useful too, if you want geographical location?

;-) hehehe just teasing!

I've been a customer of Force9/PlusNet (basically same thing, but the
PlusNet side of the office started offering extra bells-n-whistles so I
migrated over) since '96/'97? (or whenever it was when I got my
super-speedy-envy-of-everyone P166MMX lol!)

Do they have good access to newsgroups i.e. binaries

I hear that their binary access is not too hot (incomplete binaries) but I
personally have no problems with the text newsgroups, such as this one.

Speed???

I've recently upgraded to a 512kbit ADSL account and I must say I'm very
impressed with the speed of it, so if....

Will be upgrading to 1mb as soon as migration is complete.

.... the 1Mb accounts are along the same lines of quality, it should be very
good indeed.

The support staff also regularly answer questions in PlusNet's own private
newsgroups.

Good luck! :-)

Stephen. [PlusNet bigot]

Old August 13th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaime

"steven" wrote in message
How do people find them??

Do they have good access to newsgroups i.e. binaries

Speed???

Will be upgrading to 1mb as soon as migration is complete.

No problems here, they carry all./most of the binaries however theres
usually loads of missing parts.

Jaime

Old August 14th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:19:00 +0100, chris wrote:

..and excellent support offered in this ng by their technical staff.

Thanks! We do try, and I like to think our support all round is
excellent these days. That is certainly the main thrust of the
feedback we get!

Usenet Binaries is readily acknowledged by us as a pretty big issue,
as are the oddities our billing system throws up from time to time.

Our billing system is currently undergoing a complete re-write. We
should have this finished towards the end of this year, but to be
honest the work we have done in the last 6 months seems to have cured
the majority of problems and it is pretty rare for us to come across
any major billing issues now.

With regard to Usenet, we will shortly (Within the next week or two)
be adding an extra 2TB of storage capacity to our news servers. This
should go a long way to improving retention, and to a lesser extent
completion. We also have additional CPU capacity on order. Once this
is installed we should be able to bring our binaries into a position
where they match or exceed the service provided by any other UK ISP.

Regards,

Ian
--
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -------
Old August 15th 03, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steven

good to hear the responses, now I cant wait to join yourselves, hope the
migration goes through soon.

Old August 18th 03, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brother_bacon

It is my understanding that in order to upgrade from a Plusnet 512 to a
Plusnet 1 meg you need to open a new account. You cannot just upgrade.

BB

Old August 18th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 18 Aug 2003 07:54, "brother_bacon" wrote:

It is my understanding that in order to upgrade from a Plusnet 512 to a
Plusnet 1 meg you need to open a new account. You cannot just upgrade.

I felt sure that someone from PlusNet explained that if one goes onto
the 20:1 512k service, they're expecting BT to smooth the changeover to
higher speeds (all 3 speeds are part of the PlusNet "Home Worker" range
at 20:1). By the time the original poster wishes to change speed, it
may be a couple of hours of disconnection, rather than a cease and
provide and a week of no service. (Of course, they may have a second
BT phone line and such transitions would be less painful :-) Peter.