Exchange line length?

Old August 13th 03, 11:26 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Ross

Default Exchange line length?

Hi...

Can someone advise me how this works please

When i do a search on Bt's adsl checker, im being told i could be able to
receive broadband upto 2mbs,depending on line etc...

Yet my next door neighbour(friend), get this message will only receive upto
512k ?

Could we be pointing to different parts of our exchange ?

Thanks

Patrick

Old August 14th 03, 12:08 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Patrick Ross" wrote in message

Hi...

Can someone advise me how this works please

When i do a search on Bt's adsl checker, im being told i could be
able to receive broadband upto 2mbs,depending on line etc...

Yet my next door neighbour(friend), get this message will only
receive upto 512k ?

Could we be pointing to different parts of our exchange ?

Thanks

Patrick

No you could be pointing at different cable routes back to the
exchange. You could even be on different exchanges,,,

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 14th 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Halonfires LesGirl

chris wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:26:44 +0100 and in article
, Patrick Ross said...
Can someone advise me how this works please

When i do a search on Bt's adsl checker, im being told i could be
able to receive broadband upto 2mbs,depending on line etc...

Yet my next door neighbour(friend), get this message will only
receive upto 512k ?

Could we be pointing to different parts of our exchange ?

He could be on a completely different exchange to you altogether,
bizarre I know, but it does happen.

However, more probable is that you have better more insulated copper
than he does, or he has aluminium somewhere in his connection to the
exhchange.
--
chris

Possibly he uses a baked bean can connected to a taught string network with
a dynamic pickup at the exchange?

--
Bush is Out of His Tree !!!
+ I Fart in Your General Direction.

Old August 14th 03, 06:09 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Ross

So can BT's checker be able to tell that my phone line is better than my
friends ?

We are on the same exchange it tells us...

Old August 15th 03, 08:11 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
markp

chris wrote:
[...]

Well I've got 2 lines from the same exchange, one of which says it may be
suitable for broadband and the other is not suitable. My understanding is BT
use attenuation in their database as the criteria and just convert that to a
length as this is "less technical" for the end user to understand (an actual
quote from BT!). This conversion makes assumptions of average attenuation
per unit length over all installations. I'm near the edge of BT's
acceptability for broadband, in fact I had to join the extended reach
scheme, so I assume one of my lines is just inside the 'maybe' limit and the
other is just outside. My guess is you are in the same situation but for
2Mbps limit.

I've had this argument with BT several times that the length of a line
actually means not a lot - suitability for broadband can only be determined
by a proper line test (for example the overall attenuation for a given line
is an integral of attenuation per unit length over its entire length, the
only practical way of determining this integral is to measure it, same
argument for capacitance). Problem is if BT openly acknowledge that line
integrity does not depend necessarily on length then they'll get a flood of
requests to test their lines.

(Just to add weight to that argument I joined the extended reach scheme, had
my line checked, installed ADSL and have got 20db SNR margin at the modem.
Length really is not the controlling criteria).

Mark.

Old August 19th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Ross

Hi Mark

What speed are you on then ?

512 ?

Cheers

Patrick

Old August 19th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
markp

"Patrick Ross" wrote in message
Hi Mark

What speed are you on then ?

512 ?

Cheers

Patrick

Yes, 512k. According to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp I
actually get the following:

Downstream 462 Kbps (57.8 KB/sec) 498 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 250 Kbps (31.3 KB/sec) 270 Kbps (inc. overheads)

which is not too bad!

Mark.