Trigger Level

Old August 14th 03, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Trigger Level

Hello,

Like the Readers Digest Prize Draws I have passed the first stage to
get ADSL installed; that step being the trigger level for my local
exchange having been reached.

So what can I expect to happen next and where do I go [a WEB page] to
keep my finger on the pulse?

My gut feeling is that it will be around Christmas time [2003] before
I can place an order with my prefered ISP, is this a misguided
judgement on the position?

Any responses received would be most welcomed.

Regards
David Bradley
Old August 14th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

The Broadband checker on http://www.bt.com/broadband/

My gut feeling is that it will be around Christmas time [2003] before
I can place an order with my prefered ISP, is this a misguided
judgement on the position?

Yes, its misguided

2/3 weeks after your exchange has hit the trigger level (which as above
you say it just has) BT will announce the date ADSL will be available on
your exchange.
This is also known as the RFS date (Ready for Service) and will ap[pear
on the above checker.

As soon as the RFS date is available, an ISP is able to take orders for
ADSL - though it wont be installed until after the RFS date which will
probably be in 2/3 months time..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 14th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Sunil Sood
writes
2/3 weeks after your exchange has hit the trigger level (which as above
you say it just has) BT will announce the date ADSL will be available on
your exchange.
This is also known as the RFS date (Ready for Service) and will ap[pear
on the above checker.

As soon as the RFS date is available, an ISP is able to take orders for

ADSL - though it wont be installed until after the RFS date which will
probably be in 2/3 months time..

er, is this in fact correct???
Thornbury (01454-41xxxx...) has a RFS date of 3rd September (ie under 3
weeks away now -and announced 2 months ago). As of this morning I still
couldn't get the Demon site to take an order ('Sorry, adsl is not
available...) and last time I tried (a few days ago) neither would
Freeserve.

seems an imminent RFS date is 'necessary but not sufficient'
Bob

Regards
Sunil

--
robert w hall
Old August 14th 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:07:15 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OK then, I have decided to order a new line so that my fax machine
machine can have its own number. Stated that the object of ordering
the line was for ADSL use as soon as it was available on my exchange.

Installation was delayed for three weeks on the asumption that RFS
date will be announced around that period and of course line rental
won't be payable up till then. Been allocated a number, which
surprisingly I was able to choose from within a range offered.

If all tests are passed then it's going to be early December before
the service arrives. Quite a good pre Christmas present if it all
works out.

Does this new line have to be active before an ISP will accept an ADSL
order? Any other issues I should think about?

Any response on these issues welcomed.

David Bradley
Old August 14th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"robert w hall" wrote in message
In article , Sunil Sood
writes
2/3 weeks after your exchange has hit the trigger level (which as

above
you say it just has) BT will announce the date ADSL will be available

on
your exchange.
This is also known as the RFS date (Ready for Service) and will

ap[pear
on the above checker.

As soon as the RFS date is available, an ISP is able to take orders

for
ADSL - though it wont be installed until after the RFS date which

will
probably be in 2/3 months time..

er, is this in fact correct???

Yes....

Thornbury (01454-41xxxx...) has a RFS date of 3rd September (ie under

3
weeks away now -and announced 2 months ago). As of this morning I

still
couldn't get the Demon site to take an order ('Sorry, adsl is not
available...) and last time I tried (a few days ago) neither would
Freeserve.

seems an imminent RFS date is 'necessary but not sufficient'

According to posts he Demon's in particular are very bad at ordering
ADSL for their customers before the exchange has gone live.. (havent
heard about Freeserve)

However, BT Wholesale will officially accept orders for ADSL as soon as
a RFS date has been announced and the more "clued up" ISP's (actually
most of them I think) do this including:

A&A
Ecplise
Nildram
Zen

Even BTO and BT Broadband should do it..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 14th 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David Bradley" wrote in message
OK then, I have decided to order a new line so that my fax machine
machine can have its own number. Stated that the object of ordering
the line was for ADSL use as soon as it was available on my exchange.

Just out of interest would BT CallSign be sufficient? (together with
something like http://www.twintalkhelp.com or a cheaper non BT solution)

It depends on how many faxes you get I guess - but its what I have done
here...

Just make sure the order notes do state that the line "must be suitable
for ADSL"

Installation was delayed for three weeks on the asumption that RFS
date will be announced around that period and of course line rental
won't be payable up till then. Been allocated a number, which
surprisingly I was able to choose from within a range offered.

It will still be two to three months after the RFS date is announced to
when the RFS date actually arrives.. perhaps you would want to delay
your new installation a bit longer...

Does this new line have to be active before an ISP will accept an ADSL
order? Any other issues I should think about?

Yes, the new line has to be active - but ISP's can order ADSL as soon as
the line is live (within 24 hours anyway) - if an ISP (which are you
goiung for btw?) says that they can't see that number on their system -
ask them to submit a "manual order"

Apart from that - I'm sure you won't forget to get a modem/router and
any necessary filters

Regards
Sunil

Old August 14th 03, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Hurley

"robert w hall" wrote in message
Thornbury (01454-41xxxx...) has a RFS date of 3rd September (ie under 3
weeks away now -and announced 2 months ago). As of this morning I still
couldn't get the Demon site to take an order ('Sorry, adsl is not
available...) and last time I tried (a few days ago) neither would
Freeserve.

I'm on that exchange. I signed up with Pipex a month ago without a problem.
I think some of them must use an out of date database. My present ISP tried
to get me to pay them up-front even though they wouldn't believe the
exchange had reached trigger yet. I'm sure you can guess why I'm going
elsewhere.

Old August 14th 03, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:06:39 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

[...]

Because you asked, here are my thought processes:

* I currently have a analogue line that is DACSed so was oblidged to
run with ISDN [as well] for a decent Internet connection.
* I have no wish to loose the ability to have two voice calls in
progress at the same time + the Internet connection.
* It's a bit over the top I know, but the ISDN line has MSN10 with
five of those numbers in use.
* I repeated many times that the line was for ADSL use while the order
was being placed. Don't see what more I could have done.
* An overlap period, so that callers to the ISDN numbers can be
advised of the new number and if it all goes 'tits' up I have
continuity of service via the ISDN setup. [Using a DIVA LAN ISDN
Modem].
* Nildram is my choice of ISP
* Will use a Vigor 2600 [perhaps the wireless version] as the
replacement for the DIVA.
* Will attempt to sell the DIVA and Chiron Connect 200 to help with
ADSL set up costs.
* ISDN2e + BTO Anytime costs around 50 per month. The 'replacement'
service of Nildram500 + BT Domestic rental runs out at 40 a month. [A
faster Internet connection but reduced analogue facilities I know.
* The analogue side of the ADSL line will feed a single phone + the
fax machine + the PC modem for emergency dial up facilities and
outgoing faxes === Raises the question of one filter with a three way
splitter or three filters - not sure which would be te right solutiuon
on that one.
* The WEB site on the BTO account will move over to the WEB space
provided by Nildram. As it is referenced as a sub-domain of the Domain
Name that I have, then there should be no problems with Search Engines
or any who has previously booked marked the site.
* Don't care about the loss of the BTO email address - its only use at
present is as an email address when using Newsgroups.

So armed with this information I hope you will be able to sleep a bit
better this evening!

David Bradley