Access to DNS Servers

Old August 14th 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

Default Access to DNS Servers

I'm about to have NTL installed (no ADSL available at my house), and
background reading suggests that the basic networking connectivity
service is good, but many of NTL's services (email, news, DNS) are a
bit flakey.

So, it struck me that perhaps I should treat the NTL connection as a
bare pipe to the Internet (rather like BT Broadband), and set up
access to the various services independently. Email is straightforward
(there are plenty of providers), and I'm not too bothered about News
just yet.

But I am in a quandry over DNS. Can any Tom/Dick/Harry use whatever
DNS servers they feel like, regardless of who hosts them? It strikes
me that ISP X would be a bit miffed if ISP Y's customers started using
them as their primary DNS. So I would guess that access to various
ISP's DNS servers will be restricted to clients in their allocated IP
ranges. Which leaves me wondering: where can I find a reliable DNS
service if NTL's proves to be as unreliable as the gossip suggests?
Old August 14th 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MuDsHaRk

[...]

running your own dns server is easy with
Bind PE from

http://www.ntcanuck.com/

much faster too.

Old August 15th 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:43:35 +0100, chris wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:38:56 GMT and in article 3f3b9c06.88109554
, Clive Backham said...
: But I am in a quandry over DNS. Can any Tom/Dick/Harry use whatever
: DNS servers they feel like

Yup.

I'm amazed. How altruistic of the ISPs! But welcome news all the same.

When on NTL I used to use Nildram's DNS' for over 2 years.

OK, thanks for the info. In fact, since my work net access goes
through Nildram, I would feel less guilty about using them than anyone
else.
Old August 18th 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Clive Backham" wrote in message
[...]

I believe so- I often use Demon's DNS if i need to manually set up the
connection simply because I have memorised the IP from dealing with it at
work often. It works no matter how I am connecting up.
James