Force9/PlusNet router - does it support uPnP?

Old August 14th 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Default Force9/PlusNet router - does it support uPnP?

I understand that the router normally provided by Force 9 / PlusNet
(Solwise, I believe) supports NAT (netowrk address translation) so it will
route a single public IP address on the internet to a number of private IP
addresses for each computer on a private network.

But does it also support uPnp? I believe that this is necessary for MSN
Messenger's Webcam and Audio facilities to work.

Would people advise me to go with the standard router that Force 9 provide
or should I opt for a wires-only solution and buy a different router. I
won't need to run a server on my internet connection.

By the way, what is the procedure for enabling ADSL on a line? BT have
quoted a date (it's some time in early September) for my exchange. I've
registered my interest with Force 9. Should I now make a firm order with
Force 9, conditional on ADSL working on my line? I believe that someone
(BT?) performs a line test before enabling ADSL on a line - is this
something that happens automatically for anyone who's expressed an interest
in ADSL or does it need to be requested? I presume it requires them to visit
the house.

Old August 15th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Rob" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...

By the way, what is the procedure for enabling ADSL on a line? BT have
quoted a date (it's some time in early September) for my exchange. I've
registered my interest with Force 9. Should I now make a firm order with
Force 9, conditional on ADSL working on my line? I believe that someone
(BT?) performs a line test before enabling ADSL on a line - is this
something that happens automatically for anyone who's expressed an

interest
in ADSL or does it need to be requested? I presume it requires them to

visit
the house.

You can place an order now and Force9 would bill you for activation and
submit the order to BT. BT will not process the order until your exchange
is ready though so there's no great advantage in ordering early. The line
test won't happen until you've ordered, it's the main part of the ordering
process but no engineer visit is usually required, they can do the testing
remotely.

OK. I presume that I only pay for activation if the line test passes. There
*shouldn't* be any problem as the exchange is about 300 metres away as the
crow flies; I presume the cables follow the line of the roads which add up
to about 400 metres.

Old August 16th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
len Hickman

Martin Underwood was kind enough to write these words of
wisdom:

"Rob" wrote in message

OK. I presume that I only pay for activation if the line test passes.

There
*shouldn't* be any problem as the exchange is about 300 metres away as the
crow flies; I presume the cables follow the line of the roads which add up
to about 400 metres.

You pay for the activation / starter pack up front when you order and BT
confirms that ADSL is available on the exchange.
Then BT does its line test and if the test fails you get a full refund. If
it passes and the line is activated then Plusnet sends out the starter pack
( if you ordered one) by next day delivery.

You have to pay up front because BT bills the service provider as soon as
the line is activated (which is straight after the line test).

len ( a happy customer of Plusnet)

FS2002 AI Traffic for non-AI airports
FS SoundScape files for UK airfields
FSTraffic Tracks
for England,Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland,
Venezuela,
USA(1) & Denmark(1) FS2004 coverage
available here

www.lenshanger.co.uk